Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

STAR IS *

Hello

got a fact table that contains the sales transactions for each product, in each row there are columns for Customer_ID, and Supplier_ID

Now I want to add to the fact table records for Supplier inventory balance

Now these new records of supplier inventory will not have a Customer_id nor a column for Product_id

so I was thinking of making STAR is * and add '*' as Customer_ID, and '*' as Product_id in an attempt to not to modify expression to ignore selection on Customer and/ or product when viewing charts related to supplier balance

does this affect performance?

please advise

I can walk on water when it freezes
3 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think the star is *; won't help you then it has only relevance within the script and if you want to fill columns then other strings would be more suitable - maybe also a real key to a link-table. In the book QlikView Your Business from troyansky are some examples about the inventory balance which seems quite similar to your challenge and which also include a performance point of view - in each case you will get a lot of ideas.

- Marcus

ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

Actually it works but the dashboard becomes heavy

I think I have to go over expressions and add the ignore selections on the columns that the end user might select

I can walk on water when it freezes
marcus_sommer

If you have already a performance-issue then will it rather not be helpful to fill the columns or use a link-table. But probably there are other measures to improve the performance, maybe by simplifying expressions using flags, avoiding from calculated dimensions and so on and maybe also by restricting the data with calculation conditions.

- Marcus