cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raynac
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Same views, same server, different databases

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help me with a technical question.

Let's say I am hosting 4 separate clients on one server:

DatabaseA

DatabaseB

DatabaseC

DatabaseD

And let's say I have a single view called Sales.qvw and this view needs to be there four times, once for each database.  I would rename the files to:

Sales_ClientA.qvw

Sales_ClientB.qvw

Sales_ClientC.qvw

Sales_ClientD.qvw

I have already contacted Qlik Support and am told that you cannot have multiple instances of Qlik Server on one machine.  So that's out.

I have two issues (maybe more but these are the ones I can think of immediately):

1) I don't want to have to hard code the database name right into the script (we are currently deploying several views per client so this becomes an admin nightmare), so I am looking to figure out if I can access a file where we store the database names.  The problem I see is that Qlik Server only allows one folder, so all views would have to be stored in the same folder.  So how would a view know which database belongs to which client to load the correct data without some sort of hard coding in the script?  Or is this inevitable?

2)  How do I prevent ClientB's users from seeing ClientA's data and vice versa and so on...?

Has anyone ever tried this?  Does anyone know of a technique of which I am not aware that will make this a fairly simple thing to maintain?

Any help would be most appreciated.

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could use as many folders like you want and also various ways possible to use dynamic code to access any databases, for example reading the folder / filename of a qvw on which a connection/filepath is branched off.

Further there is no need to duplicate all applications n-times else you could use Section Access to control the access to certain applications and the data within them.

- Marcus

raynac
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Altering the Section Access section (or the view script in general) is the thing I am trying to avoid, as I will have multiple different servers with 4 or so different clients on each one.

As for your first statement, do you know of any articles on how to achieve this?  I have been working with Qlikview for 13 years but in a very formulaic and specific way (single server for each single client, all with the same database name) so I don't even know where to start to do this.

marcus_sommer

I'm not sure that I understand what do you want to do. If you encode the client within the path with something like this:

\\YourServer\Drive\QlikView\Clients\A\Applications\...

you could for example with subfield('$(QvWorkPath)', '\', 6) identify to which client the app belonged and use this information within any condition to adjust the connection-string.

- Marcus