Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

School assignment

Hi, i need to do a school assignment that involves Qlikview. Basically we need to come up with two questions that would be useful for the management and answer these questions by displaying techniques we learned. I however don't understand a thing about qlikview so i'm wondering if somebody can help me? If so, send me a private message and i can explain my problems a bit better/

Thanks.

8 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Mirhad Hasanovic wrote:

send me a private message and i can explain my problems a bit better

Yeah, that sounds a bit silly. Just post your problem explanation a bit better here.

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

It's complicated and quite a lot to explain in one post.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

No offence but It is a school assignment; I doubt it can be that complicated.

A wise man one said: If you can't explain it in a simple way, you probably don't understand it yourself (yet). ... or something alone those lines; I can't remember the exact quote .

Stop making excuses; start writing .

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

Okay. So we have a database we gotta work with. Now the assignment was to come up with two questions like: what product is sold the most. So while answering that question, you show some of the techniques you've learned like set analysis etc. I tried studying all these techniques but i just can't figure it out.

That's why i'm asking this question because i rather have someone help me at a personal level.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I wish that I could have been given assignments using QlikView when I was at school!

A good start would be telling us which techniques you have used.

If you are looking for two questions I would go for a time based one and a dimensional based one (i.e. comparison between items in a group).

For a time based question you will want an expression (e.g. sum(Sales) ) shown across a dimension (e.g. [Month Year] ).  This should be shown as a Line Chart.  The business question there is simply:

"Are the value of our sales increasing or decreasing month on month".

For a dimension based question use the same expression, but shown across a physical dimension (e.g. Salesperson ).  Show this in a Bar Chart and sort by Y Value descending.  Add a scroll bar if required.  Now the question is simply:

"Who are our best, and worst, sales people".

There is a whole lot more you can do with QlikView, and you have found the right place to find out more, but this should tick the two question box.  Having two different types of chart (applied correctly) should get a bit of extra credit.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Awesome!!!

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Okay.  So with my description above just replace Salesperson with Product and you are on the right lines.

If you need to use Set Analysis, try doing the reporting only for the Year To Date, so the expression will become something like:

sum({<Year={$(=year(today()))}>}Sales)

You can see one of my Set Analysis examples if you need more pointers:

QlikView App: Simple Year To Date Example (Set Analysis)

Enjoy.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for responding twice! Never knew this community would be this helpful.