Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Select Excluded Related Values

Hi all,

I am experimenting with select excluded and want to do the following:

I have data on clients, holdings and account managers. Say for example that each of these clients have a portfolio of stocks. If for example, some of the clients hold apple and some dont, I want to use selected excluded to remove the account manager (and all clients they are managing) where they have a client who holds apple.

This is to try to solve the case where we identify those account managers who have been unsuccessful in distributing certain products to the clients.

The typical select excluded that I am aware of (using right click on product list to select all but apple stocks) would still show all accounts, just with apple excluded from the results.

Appreciate any advice on how to resolve this!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes, that's why I said to do the Select Excluded on a listbox with the account managers. And only after first selecting apple in the Stock listbox.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Select 'apple' in the stocks listbox, then right click the account managers listbox and choose Select Excluded.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks but as I explained I am trying to do something more comlpex than the simple exclude values.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, I guess I'm not smart enough to understand your explanation then. I thought you wanted the account managers that didn't have clients with apple stock.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The objective is to remove the manager rather than the client. They will have other clients who do not hold apple stock, but they have sold to some of them. I want the trigger to be the fact that they have sold to 'any' of their clients, and use this to remove them and all associated clients from the results.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Remove or Select? It's not clear to me what you want. Perhaps attached example can help make clear to me what you want.

note: if you're not using QV11 or newer the example may not work as it uses alternate states to show an intermediate result and an end result.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the help Gysbert - I feel we are getting close...!

I have attached a file to the original post with a simple example. I only want to show the one account manager who does not have any clients who hold apple. When I 'select excluded' on apple (to select all other stocks), it would show account managers who hold all products apart from apple.

I am using QV11 SR3

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes, that's why I said to do the Select Excluded on a listbox with the account managers. And only after first selecting apple in the Stock listbox.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Aha... I see. Sorry just did not think of that workflow using the select excluded in the account manager box. That solved the issue. Many thanks!