Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Silent Batch Reload of qvw with logs

Hi,

I am searching for elegant technique to reload a qvw application, with a .BAT, that produce a log file and that not open pop-up windows if errors during the reload...

Thanks in advance,

Eric.

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Eric

You can add the following command to a batch file (obviously re-written for your own environment), we have lots of other stuff going on in batch files to update SQL Tables with start/end times but this is the part that calls the refresh:

CALL "C:\Program Files\QlikView\QV.exe" /r "E:\QlikView\UserQVW\QlikViewFileName.QVW" >> "E:\QlikView\LogFiles\RefreshLogFile.LOG"

Also, in your load script you should add the following command to ensure that no errors pop-up during processing:

SET ErrorMode=0

When you are refreshing locally (in development environment, when you want to see errors) you should change the above line to:

SET ErrorMode=1

Good luck,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nigel,

I tried your suggestions, it reloads well, but it doesn't produce any LogFile. The only way to produce a LogFile is to check it in the document properties...

For the errors pop-pup, if I add errors in my script, the popup still appears too...

Not applicable
Author

Anybody ?

Or
MVP
MVP

emontant wrote:
For the errors pop-pup, if I add errors in my script, the popup still appears too... <div></div>

Errormode=0 will prevent QlikView error messages from popping up. There's nothing you can do in QV about Windows error messages - e.g. ODBC connection failed (or at least, if there is, I've yet to figure them out).

Not applicable
Author

So what sort of error messages are hidden by the "ERRORMODE=0" instruction ?

Not applicable
Author

Hi

ERRORMODE=0 will stop any qlikview error messages from popping up during reload, this means that it will not give you a syntax error on a load statement for example, you should be aware though that (as it says above in this thread) it will not stop operating system errors and/or database connection errors.

I can't detail all of the messages that it won't show, and I can't detail all the messages it will show, but setting this value to zero certainly helped us to resolve QVW refreshes hanging during a silent reload.

Regards,

etay_netintent
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Nigel.

I am attempting to use a scheduling tool called ControlM to schedule the reloads.

ControlM can not work with an application that has a Gui window opening.

I have attempted to place "CALL" in the bat file pre you suggestion, but still got the reload window.

Is it you experience that placing the CALL parameter will cause a Silent run - no Gui window with reload script popping up ?

With Many thanks

Etay Elazar

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I want to reload more than one qvw file with one .bat file, but I want the econt file to start reload after the first one has finished, because there are dependencies between them. Is there a way to do this.

Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

SET ErrorMode=0 is very bad practice. Suppose script loads a fact table from database and dimension tables

from local CSV files. If the database is down, result will be a small QVW with only dimension tables.

This is exactly the error you don't want to ignore.

-Alex