Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting in Pivot table with horizontal dimension

Hi,

Below you find a screenshot where Dim4 values needs to be sorted such that the range 56t-140t comes after the range 50-55t

but it doesn't.

I tried to associate a number with the combination of Dim3 & Dim4 to achieve this(screenshot below)

Dim4 in the table in screenshot 1 is sorted on the basis of sum(num) but still it doesn't get sorted in correct way for the first value of Dim3

Sorting for other values of Dim3 is ok.

Please help.

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Use max({1} num)

check attached

View solution in original post

8 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Can you please share sample app?

Not applicable
Author

Please find attached

Not applicable
Author

hi, you will notice this is a automatic sorting issue with Excel.  Since this is a text field, it is sorting in such a way.  You should probably rename the field either numerically or alphabetically to get the desired result

Not applicable
Author

i've associated the field with a number & did sort by sum(num) but doesn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Use max({1} num)

check attached

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

it works

but how does it work ?

please explain

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The simple reason. We are taking a Max of "num" and sorting it in asc order. so, as the series you have numbered gets sorted in the asc order and using a set we are ignoring any selection to affect the sorting.

hope this helps.

Not applicable
Author

why doesn't sum(num) work ?

and why does it behave the way it does ? i hope max equals sum here for each pair of Dim3 & Dim4

also when we select/click any value of Dim3 the sorting becomes ok, why is it so ?