Qlik Community

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
Read about the latest Qlik Community enhancements on the Community News blog!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting multiple dimensions simultaneously in pivot table

I know similar topics have been discussed quite often, but I haven't been able to find a solution that works (if at all possible).

I am creating a pivot table with three dimensions, and I want all of them to be sorted by % notional. I also need subtotals, which is why I'm using a pivot and not a straight table. Unfortunately I cannot share any data for company policy, but I recreated a mock dataset to explain the issue.

I tried breaking down the problem into smaller parts. If I create a pivot table with just one dimension and sort using an expression in sort tab, that gets sorted properly. If I add a second dimension, then dimension 1 is still sorted correctly, however dimension 2 is sorted according to all its global values instead of just using the values belonging to each value of dimension 1. Same goes when I add dimension 3.

As of now, I ticked sort by expression, descending according to sum(notional) for all tables and dimensions. I tried alternative solutions, like creating an additional variable that groups the entries from fields 1, 2, 3, but that wasn't returning a solution esthetically good enough. In addition, it wasn't pivoting on fields 1, 2, which is a requirement here.

Am I trying to do something not possible in Qlikview? If not, how can this be resolved?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Marco, you need to create a (hidden) expression column to sort by, have a look at

Perfectly Sorting Pivot Table (by A-Z. y-Value set for each dim-level)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Marco, you need to create a (hidden) expression column to sort by, have a look at

Perfectly Sorting Pivot Table (by A-Z. y-Value set for each dim-level)

View solution in original post

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Stefan. I had overlooked that post, it was as easy as ticking off all sort options and simply tick sort by y-value on the first dimension!