Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Straight Table Text Formatting

G'day again everyone - Another text formatting question.

I have attached a QVW so you can have a look at what I am trying to achieve here since it would be very hard to explain it without a visual aid. I will upload when I can figure out this permission error...

In our report we use ~50 expressions, but this sample sheet only uses a few. There are some fields that have been intentionally left blank, usually with an expression like =' ' to make sure there is nothing shown in the cell.

The problem I am facing is I don't want the expressions to all be bold. Only a few select ones. For example [Profit Loss Implact], [Revenue Impact] and [Total Revenue Impact] I want bolded, but the rest I want left normal.

I hope this is possible because using a straight table with ~50+ expressions bolded isn't pretty on the eyes.

Note: We are using it horizontal deliberately, if only it was that easy...

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Kieran,

if this is just about making some expressions bold then go to the expressions and expand an expression you want to be bold and under text format enter '<b>' (including the quotes) as Definition.

This will just make this particular expression bold. You can even use formulas to make the expression only bold if it is within a certain range. (Kinda like visual cues, but a lot more powerful).

The same applies to the property Background Color.

Cheers, Lukas

Not applicable
Author

G'day Lukas;

This is very hard to demonstrate without an example/sample file to show you. I am having some technical problems here that are preventing me from uploading a .qvw so please heck back when I get this fixed up.

Your answer is not the right answer I am looking for. I am sure you will understand when I upload the file.

Cheers;

Kieran

Not applicable
Author

Well, this is all I can do for now - if you go to my profile page you can download the .qvw file from there, under the folder 'Text Formatting'.

Now as you can see the straight table has all the expressions Bolded. Whereas the Pivot table (Copy/Pasted and changed to Pivot) has only the fields I want Bolded)

So there are two 'solutions' I am looking for - EIther:

Work a way to only bold certain expressions in the Straight Table format.

OR

Work a way to format the size of columns in the Pivot Table format so they are not all equal width.

-Kieran

Not applicable
Author

Here is the file I was talking about. Seems like the upload issue has passed.

Any ideas?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kieran, I tried & tried but couldn't get it to work.

I though it could be solved by using the advanced styling option but this doesn't help either.

Not applicable
Author

Yeah we have had three people here have a red hot go at it and haven't made any progress...

Not applicable
Author

Anyone else got any new ideas or should I just accept that it can't be done?

larsc
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

You may look at the sample application "Data Visualization" included in QlikView, tab "Butterfly".

Not applicable
Author

I can't find this. Where do I look?