Skip to main content

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgranillo
Specialist
Specialist

Subroutine creating dozens of variables

I run a subroutine in my script and pass a variable name as the input parameter.  Every time it runs, Qlik creates a new variable with the name and value equal to the input variable parameter.  I found in Qlik documentation that this is standard functionality:

subDoc.jpg

My issue is that my QVW now has hundreds of variables and it's growing by the day.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue and how to prevent it from happening? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
evan_kurowski
Specialist
Specialist

Recently ran into this, and my issue sounds the same, if I passed my subroutine the parameter 4, then it created a variable 4 and assigned the variable '4' the value =4.

Not sure if it was always this way, but when I always single quoted the variables being passed as parameters in the call statement, while making sure no quoting was used in the receiving subroutine, this issue did not occur.

I.e. pairing

Sub MyProc(var1NoQuotes, var2NoQuotes)

Call MyProc('$(vquotedArg1)','4')

Even though my hardcode parameter of 4 was going to the subroutine in quotes, I think by default I was still able to work it as a number, without requiring a data type conversion like Num() or Num#().

View solution in original post

3 Replies
evan_kurowski
Specialist
Specialist

Recently ran into this, and my issue sounds the same, if I passed my subroutine the parameter 4, then it created a variable 4 and assigned the variable '4' the value =4.

Not sure if it was always this way, but when I always single quoted the variables being passed as parameters in the call statement, while making sure no quoting was used in the receiving subroutine, this issue did not occur.

I.e. pairing

Sub MyProc(var1NoQuotes, var2NoQuotes)

Call MyProc('$(vquotedArg1)','4')

Even though my hardcode parameter of 4 was going to the subroutine in quotes, I think by default I was still able to work it as a number, without requiring a data type conversion like Num() or Num#().

marcus_sommer
MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

I remember some years ago to read some discussions about the topic and what the technical backgrounds could be and if it should be considered as bug or not - I believe the conclusion was it's not a bug else an intended feature.

Because it's not easy to find these old postings I didn't try it yet - particularly because it's just an explanation and not a solution in your case. I think the only solution would be to drop the variables within the routine (or maybe within some additionally routines) after using them. Just var = null(); will delete the variable (only within the script - does the variable already exists within the GUI they must be deleted there first).

- Marcus

mgranillo
Specialist
Specialist
Author

Thanks Evan. This worked for me.  I never would have thought of that so thanks for taking the time to share the information.

Mike