Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AyCe1082
Creator
Creator

Sum the Max values of a field in a straight table to display in a row in another straight table

Hi all,

I have a list of cumulative values in a field and I need to display the total of only their maximum values. I have successfully done that but I have to display that total as its own dimension.

I use

=if(PLAYERTEAMNAME=HOME_TEAM_NAME and PRIMARY_POS_DESC<>'Goalkeeper',PLAYER_ID)

as the calculated dimension to only display certain IDs (otherwise the two teams are joined together, and Goalkeeper needed to be excluded), and then 

=max({<PLAYER_ID>}TOTAL_METERS)

as the expression to display the max values I wanted. The table below has the correct total.

Working totals.PNG

The table below is where I would need the totals to show (please ignore the huge number, it was just the latest attempt).

Not working totals.PNG

I have browsed extensively and found a few topics that went unsolved and some that had elaborate solutions which were difficult to apply to my issue. I have used variables, variables combined with expressions, I even tried a for loop in the script. Unfortunately I'm still learning and nothing has worked so far.

If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I am also looking at loading only the max values in the script as a separate field, based off the Player IDs. The data is loaded with SQL queries. Any help with this method is also greatly appreciated.

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyCe1082
Creator
Creator
Author

Solved. 

I am not sure if this will help anyone in future but I'll post how it was fixed just in case.

I changed the load script to:

TotalMetersPre:
LOAD
GAME_CODE,
PLAYER_ID as PLAYER_ID,
TOTAL_METERS as TOTAL_METERS2
Resident Physical;

NoConcatenate

TotalMeters:

LOAD
GAME_CODE,
PLAYER_ID,
max(TOTAL_METERS2) as MAX_METERS

Resident TotalMetersPre Group by GAME_CODE, PLAYER_ID Order by GAME_CODE;

Left Join
LOAD
GAME_CODE,
TOTAL_METERS2,
PLAYER_ID
Resident TotalMetersPre;

Drop Table TotalMetersPre;

The main difference was changing Group by to include GAME_CODE and changing Order by to GAME_CODE

Then changed the expression:

=sum(aggr(sum(DISTINCT{<PLAYER_ID=,PRIMARY_POS_DESC-={'Goalkeeper'}>}MAX_METERS),PLAYER_ID))

Gives the correct value as its own row. This does create a Syn table however. Just need to arrange a link table to remove 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AyCe1082
Creator
Creator
Author

Update: I managed to create a new field called MAX_METERS in the load script (Idea taken from https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-QlikView/Get-Data-with-Max-Value-for-each-ID/m-p/1227317) like so:

TotalMetersPre:
LOAD
PLAYER_ID,
TOTAL_METERS
Resident Physical;

NoConcatenate

TotalMeters:

LOAD
PLAYER_ID,
max(TOTAL_METERS) as MAX_METERS

Resident TotalMetersPre Group by PLAYER_ID Order by PLAYER_ID;

Left Join
LOAD
PLAYER_ID,
TOTAL_METERS
Resident TotalMetersPre;

This seemed to almost work perfectly but one player has a different Max value now:

Max Meters.PNG

The value went up by 1,182 from 11,296 to 12,478. Every other ID in the shortlist matched. There is no 1,182 value in the shortlist.

AyCe1082
Creator
Creator
Author

Solved. 

I am not sure if this will help anyone in future but I'll post how it was fixed just in case.

I changed the load script to:

TotalMetersPre:
LOAD
GAME_CODE,
PLAYER_ID as PLAYER_ID,
TOTAL_METERS as TOTAL_METERS2
Resident Physical;

NoConcatenate

TotalMeters:

LOAD
GAME_CODE,
PLAYER_ID,
max(TOTAL_METERS2) as MAX_METERS

Resident TotalMetersPre Group by GAME_CODE, PLAYER_ID Order by GAME_CODE;

Left Join
LOAD
GAME_CODE,
TOTAL_METERS2,
PLAYER_ID
Resident TotalMetersPre;

The main difference was changing Group by to include GAME_CODE and changing Order by to GAME_CODE

Then changed the expression:

=sum(aggr(sum(DISTINCT{<PLAYER_ID=,PRIMARY_POS_DESC-={'Goalkeeper'}>}MAX_METERS),PLAYER_ID))

Gives the correct value as its own row. This does create a Syn table however. Just need to arrange a link table to remove