Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard_cioci
Creator
Creator

Trying to create a script to only load the most recent rating for each customer.

I have a number of tables pulling in from a database.

One of the tables is a customer rating, for the example of this post, let's say each customer has a rating from 1-4. Customer ratings can be updated, in which case the unique rating_id will be larger for the newer rating, but the older rating will be included.

I.E.

Customer List:

A

B

C

Rating Table:

CustomerRating_IDRating
A0011
A0043
A0064
B0023
B0052
C0031

In the example above, Customer A was rated a 1, then 3, then 4. Customer B was rated a 3, then a 2. Customer C was rated a 1.

So I need the load script to output a 1 for A, a 2 for B and a 1 for C which I would then map or join to the existing customer table.

How could I do this?

I was considering a loop in the load script which would, for every customer, go through each row of that customer and set the rating_id to a variable (X) and set the rating as another variable (Y). Then it goes to the next record and compares the rating_id to the rating_id variable (X), and if it's smaller it does nothing, if it's larger, it sets the new rating_id as (X) and the rating for that record as (Y). At the end of the loop, it uses the (Y) variable to set the rating for a customer.

However, before I figure out how to do this, I wanted to know if there's an easier and more efficient way given the number of customers in the table (it's large).

I've attached a sample of the above table.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try something like

LOAD Customer,

FirstSortedValue( Rating, -Rating_ID) as LastRating

RESIDENT YourTable

GROUP BY Customer;

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try something like

LOAD Customer,

FirstSortedValue( Rating, -Rating_ID) as LastRating

RESIDENT YourTable

GROUP BY Customer;

richard_cioci
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks!

I also came up with this one:

Ratings:

Load

Customer,

max(Rating_ID) as Rating_ID

Resident Table

Group by Customer;

Left Join (Ratings)

Load

Customer,

Rating_ID,

Rating

Resident Table;

Do you know which of the two methods (first sorted value or mine) would be more efficient with a large list of customers?