Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Trying to figure out reason for a syn key

Hello all -

I've created QVD files from table views in our database, and now am beginning my first "real" qlikview application for testing.

When I loaded my QVDs, I got only one syn key  - I'm trying to figure out why Qlikview would read these two fields (see screenshot attached) as the same. I realize that there are numbers underlying the dates in  the "PA_PERIOD_NAME" column, but there doesn't seem to be any crossover.when I pull these fields into a multibox (even with DATE function or NUM functions applied)

Am I on the right track, though, that it's probably reading some overlapping id and period name numbers, and thus thinking there is a syn key situation, and I'm just missing it?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoWedel

Those two fields are both included in more than one qvd, that's the reason for the synthetic key.

It has nothing to do with which values appear in both fields.

Maybe this helps:

Synthetic Keys

regards

Marco

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MarcoWedel

Those two fields are both included in more than one qvd, that's the reason for the synthetic key.

It has nothing to do with which values appear in both fields.

Maybe this helps:

Synthetic Keys

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Marco....that was obviously the first thing I checked....I will look again in the morning with fresh eyes...

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

If there are more than one common field (Field name) then Synthetic keys are generated, synthetic keys can be removed by using various techniques like

- Renaming Field names

- Creating concatenated Key fields

- Creating Linked tables

- Concatenating Tables

Check in community for sample scripts.  Hope below link helps you.

Synthetic Keys

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Wow. That's what I get for working after I'm tired. Found the cause immediately this morning! thanks for your help.

Not applicable
Author

thanks! I did a rename for my problem child field.

MarcoWedel

You're welcome.

Please close your thread.

Thanks

Regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

How do I close my thread?

MarcoWedel

you already did by marking a correct answer.

thanks

regards

Marco