Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Two sets of unrelated data in one chart

Hi,

I have an issue with a Chart that is supposed to Show two sets of actually unrelated data in one Chart:

The Chart is in a Container_box, one of six tiles - it is currently a multidimensional pie_Chart which is a bit hard to read - and it is just different from the one on another tab which Shows something seemingly similar:

- This one Shows the nr. of calls by FrontOffice and tel-nr.

- the FrontOffice is either "Personal" or "Rechnungswesen"

- the tel.-nrs are different of course

=> That is what distinguishes this one from the other one which is seemingly so similar - but only seemingly: The other one Shows

related data, where each value of the second Dimension exists within each value of the first Dimension. It's different here - the

telephone_numbers for the FrontOffices are different.

=> When I create a bar_chart with those two dimensions, I have a large gap in the area for one value of the first Dimension - because

QlikView is of course trying to Show each value of the second Dimension in each value of the first - but the values for the second Dimension - telephone_nr - which exist for the other FrontOffice just don't exist in this one, so there is a gap between the bars (where the values for the other FrontOffice would be).

I hope I have explained this understandably.

Does anyone know how I could get rid of those blank spaces?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

We have Kind of made that - well, not the way I was thinking, that is not possible easily, though it must be possible somehow. I made it with the help of a Consultant, we found another way now. We decided the first Dimension "FrontOffice" does not really add any value to the Chart since each of the tel-numbers is associated to one FrontOffice, so we dropped this and now we have a nice bar_chart with the fiver tel-numbers, we only had to sort it corrrespondingly and we added a free text inside the charting_area to convey the Information which FrontOffice the numbers belong to.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Do you have some screen shots or your app or an example app without data that we can view to get a better understanding of what you are trying to do.

Regards

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Aron,

well, to start I can send you a screenshot of the app. As you see, there are two FrontOffices (first Dimension) and five tel-nrs (second Dimension) - the one FrontOffice has two numbers, the other has three <=> that means that in one value of the first Dimension, only two values of the second Dimension exist, the other three do not - and vice versa, in the other value of the first Dimension, only three values of the second Dimension exist, two do not.

=> That's how the gap on the right-Hand side ("Personal") come along - there is a gap which is actually broad enough for two columns - those are the columns for the two tel-nrs that just don't exist in the FrontOffice "Personal".

QlikView tries to Display all five tel-nrs for each FrontOffice, but in the case of the FrontOffice "Personal", two just don't exist, so there are two "nothings" 😉

(the gaps exist in the other FrontOffice ("Rewe"), too, but they don't Show because they are to the right and left of the existing bars whereas in the FrontOffice "Rewe" the two non-existing bars are/ would be inbetween).

Does that make it clearer for you?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

With my last employer, I had something similar: The director wanted, in every Dashboard I built and every Chart, a "Chart" with historical values - one for the last month, one for the last week or something like that. Those were two columns (I made it into a column_Chart somehow) that were completely unrelated.

I cannot remember exactly how I did that, I think I had an artificial Dimension and IF_constructs for the formulas or so - but I don't remember more precisely. I will give it a think.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

We have Kind of made that - well, not the way I was thinking, that is not possible easily, though it must be possible somehow. I made it with the help of a Consultant, we found another way now. We decided the first Dimension "FrontOffice" does not really add any value to the Chart since each of the tel-numbers is associated to one FrontOffice, so we dropped this and now we have a nice bar_chart with the fiver tel-numbers, we only had to sort it corrrespondingly and we added a free text inside the charting_area to convey the Information which FrontOffice the numbers belong to.

Best regards,

DataNibbler