Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

User-Selected Values Determining List Box Dimensions

Working on a project where users are determining what geographic areas are available based on user-selected demographic attributes and their corresponding indexes.

What I want to be able to do is allow the user to pick three demographic criteria out of a list of 30, as opposed to being able to mix and match everything. I can easily create an 'Input Box' that contains all of the available demographic fields to choose from (i.e. Age, Gender, Income), and can pass the variable to populate a multi-box. From there I want to display all the possible attribute values, and once those are selected then the possible index values. It works, but I'm running into the following issues:

1. ALL of my demographic fields show up in my 'Current Selections' box when a single Demographic is selected
  2. The index fields don't show up in the correct 'state' at times (available values appear throughout the list as opposed to being sorted to the top)
  3. The dropdowns seem to be populating slowly (slower than a standard Multi-Box), and I am concerned about speed issues once the record volume & number of values jump up

Is there an easier way to go about doing this? I know that I can just pull all Demo's/Indexes into a Multi-Box, but there may be a requirement to limit the choices the user can make.

3 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Jeff,

I'd recommend replacing your Multi Box and calculated expressions with a set of 5 different Multi-Boxes, each one with a single field, and a "Show Condition" based on the selected Demographic. Then you are back to the standard behavior with no anomalies related tio the calculated expressions.

cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Oleg - I got it working based on the data I have. When we roll this out, there will be 30 demographic fields to choose from, so if I only want them to be able to choose three of them at a time, is it easier to just great a whole bunch of these, or is there a more logical way? I was just going to create three input boxes and assign a variable to each so that they could mix and match fields.

Thanks again!

Not applicable
Author

Stil trying to figure this out and feel like I am missing something basic.

My demographic values (and associated counts) all reside in individual tables, which then link to a master geography table so that users can determine which geography's meet multiple demographic requirements.

I've loaded the individual demographic field names (ie Age Profile, Income Profile, etc.) into a stand alone table via a 'load inline' statement, and based on the single value that a user selects I was to then display that field and its attributes in a list or multi box.