Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zagzebski
Creator
Creator

Using Actions to select all

I am new to actions but want to do the following:

Have a button that can be clicked and it would select all choices in a list box or event better all selections from a field in an object.

For example in the object below A, B and C would be selected (and all other objects would honor this selection)

Object A:

Customer     Revenue

A                    10

B                    20

C                    30

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I don't think there is an easy way to pass the dimension limited list of dimension values to another object / selection.

For your specific needs, you can look into the Seletion - Pareto Select action, which should do what you want.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try a Selection - Select in field action with field name

Customer

and as search string:

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for the help.

The problem is that will just select all customers. Is there any way with an action/trigger that you can "Select in a Field" for a specific dimension in an object?

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

...in my example "Customer" is just the label in my object for the dimension CustomerID.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

For a specific dimension in an object? Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to achieve.

You can make selections only in fields of your data model. You can use these fields as dimension in a chart, and you can create a label with a different text to show. But what does this have to do with the selection in the field?

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Okay here is my problem:

I have an object that I have a dimension limit on. The object shows me show me what clients make up 80% of my revenue. However since I am using a dimension limit it is not as if I have "selected" these clients they are just the result of filtering from the dimension limit tab.

So I want my other objects to be based on whatever clients show up in the object I described above. I was thinking of some automated way that I could push a button that would select the client list from the object described.

does this make more sense now what I am trying to do? I have been struggling with this for days!

Thanks for any help,

Steve

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I don't think there is an easy way to pass the dimension limited list of dimension values to another object / selection.

For your specific needs, you can look into the Seletion - Pareto Select action, which should do what you want.

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks! This looks like it has promise for what I need!

Steve

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

One quick follow - the Pareto selection work but when I put a variable in the "percentage" field it won't recognize it. do you have any ideas why?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

No idea, passing a variable like

=vVar

to the approriate action input field should work.