Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using multiple error bars on a graph results in offset error bar

I'm currently trying to reverse engineer a box plot graph in Qlikview SR16. The reason I'm doing that is the standard boxplot available within the tool doesn't allow you to use a secondary axis (it technically does but the scale is locked to the same scale as the primary axis), and I need to have a secondary axis plot over the top of my boxplot with some totals on it (incidentally, if anyone knows how to do that, that would be great!)

So I'm trying to build my own boxplot instead using a stacked bar chart with error bars. Conceptually what I'm doing should work however it appears that when you plot two sets of error bars in a stacked chart (whether it be bars or lines) the second set of error bars gets offset from the data point. The only reference I've found to this problem is this post.

https://community.qlik.com/thread/145254

I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour. The thread suggests it might be a bug but no one ever properly answered the question. Is this still a problem, or is there a way to fix this?

I haven't attached a QVW however the behaviour should be easy to replicate - plot two lines on a graph and add error bars to both. You should see the second set of error bars being offset from the first.

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I've come up with a workaround solution for the boxplot behaviour of not allowing a secondary axis of a different scale, I've created a second graph using my upper whisker expression as my primary axis and set it to invisible, and my totals on my secondary axis. I've then set transparency to 100% on a number of elements on my second graph and placed the two on top of each other. This way, the dimension labels line up perfectly with each other, and the totals will just plot where appropriate (they all have data labels so I don't actually need to show my secondary axis which makes alignment much easier).

This solution seems to "work" for what I want although it's a hacky solution at best, so still hoping someone has some experience with either getting box plots to allow a different scale secondary axis or dealing with dual error bars on a single dimension.