Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using set analysis for point in time reporting

I've got a copy of QlikView 11 for Developers and I've made use of a formula that they suggest for calculating month on month performance. I've edited it slightly so that it reflects the dimensions that I have within my QVDs so it now shows:

=((Sum({$<PeriodID={"<=$(=Max(PeriodID-1))"},year=, quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales)/

Sum({$<PeriodID={"<=$(=Max(PeriodID-2))"},year=,quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales)))-1

This nearly works but it gives a percentage that is 100% out e.g. it shows 19510% growth for one product when it should be 19410%.

I assume that it is ignoring the -1 at the end of the formula.

Can anyone tell me why, or help me correct the formula?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
miikkaqlick
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Yes, as I see it correct formula would be:

=(Sum({$<PeriodID={"=$(=Max(PeriodID)-1)"},year=, quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales)/

Sum({$<PeriodID={"=$(=Max(PeriodID)-2)"},year=,quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales))-1

This formula would compare max period with previous period.

Miikka

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Changing it to -2 works, but I don't understand why.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I'd use $(=Max(PeriodID)-1) so the expression also works if more than one period is selected. Otherwise I don't see anything really wrong. The -1 is certainly not ignored, but I have no idea why your expression calculates the value you see returned.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply. It's a mystery to me too! I downloaded the data into Excel just to do a validation and noticed the difference. I then started to wonder if I actually know how to calculate percentage growth! Using -2 in the formula does seem to work although I don't think it should...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Interestingly when you break the formula up into its constituent parts something unexpected happens. In my development dataset I've got data for Jan, Feb and March.

This formula: Sum({$<PeriodID={"<=$(=Max(PeriodID-1))"},year=, quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales)

Gives me the sum of January and February? I expected it to give me the sales for February.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

<= means smaller or equal. If you want only equal then you can use PeriodID={"$(=Max(PeriodID)-1)"} instead.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
miikkaqlick
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Yes, as I see it correct formula would be:

=(Sum({$<PeriodID={"=$(=Max(PeriodID)-1)"},year=, quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales)/

Sum({$<PeriodID={"=$(=Max(PeriodID)-2)"},year=,quarter=,month=,period=>}customer_gross_sales))-1

This formula would compare max period with previous period.

Miikka

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Mikka, you're correct that's what it should be. I'd stupidly edited the formula for Ytd vs YTD last year and come up with the wrong formula.

I've now got what you suggested:

(Sum({$<PeriodID = {"$(=Max(PeriodID-1))"}, Year = , Quarter = ,

Month = , Period = > } customer_gross_sales)

/

Sum({$<PeriodID = {"$(=Max(PeriodID-2))"}, Year = , Quarter = ,

Month = , Period = > } customer_gross_sales))