Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Version Control - TortoiseSVN

Our clinic is beginning the implementation process of Qlik and we are a relatively small team. We are evaluating TortoiseSVN and other version control software products. I see that TortoiseSVN is widely used by organizations withing the Qlik Community. I am having difficulty evaluating this from an administrative perspective. Can anyone please share their knowledge and experience from an administrative overhead perspective on this product. Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Tish, do you mean security wise or footprint on your server? if you have a small team, SVN is a good choice.

Not applicable
Author

I am asking from really a man-power perspective, while the footprint could be an issue for us initially we are doing a major storage upgrade later this year. Any information you could provide on either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

honestly not a lot of developers using source control with QlikView in the first place - it is not that easy as you would normally imagine. You have to use project files format not QVWs and developers need to be very careful to follow this process - I assume you already took a look at some documents here describing how to do source control.

For me, a lot of things sounded very unnatural and while we tried to used it, the hassle was not worth for us. We ended up doing daily backups of our source documents folder and developers can go back to previous versions that way which is pain but it is not something you will do every day.

So my suggestion is to try it first with SVN or GIT and see if you even need or can follow this process. It is really not that easy as check-in / check-out as they make it look

as for the choice of source control, both SVN and GIT are very good choices. I would probably pick GIT because it allows different workflows and ready for distributed environments if you ever need to do that. Both are very popular and both have very small footprint.

As for administration, both do not require much really. You can actually start with local repository on your shared network folder (no server) or you can start with central repo - choice is yours.

Both have very good set of free GUI clients.

I feel that GIT is more modern, flexible and supports continuous integration way better than SVN and allows frequent commits locally (concept of push and commit vs. just commit).

hope it helps somewhat

PlatformManager-Expert
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hello Tish,

If you're looking for an easy to use, easy to implement version control solution that also provides other features that help you in developing and publishing QlikView and/or Qlik Sense apps you might want to checkout our solution at in4bi.com. It's not free but the ROI is easy to make.