Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Visual Cue Expression not working?

Hello All -

I am attempting to use the following expression for highlighting data in my straight table:

=date(monthend(USInventory_promise_date)-6)

The column that this is being applied to is a date column (Prom Date).

I am not getting the data highlighted as I would have expected. 

Ultimately what this should do is highlight anything that has a Prom Date in the last 7 days of the month.

To test my expression, I added a calculated dimension to my chart, which shows that the expression is calculating the desired date (screen shot below - right column - Expression Date Test).

I would have expected the highlighted items in my screen shot below to have been picked up by that expression(above) in the visual Cues "Upper".

Screen-QlikviewVisCue.png

Interpreting the first row of data;

The way I am reading it would be If the Promise Date is >= 6/24/12 then highlight.

If I hard code the date in the expression (simply put =date('6/24/12') the highlighting works as expected.

Is there some fine point I am missing with date compares in expressions used for visual cues?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Instead of visual cues, try putting it in Chart Properties > Background Color:

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Instead of visual cues, try putting it in Chart Properties > Background Color:

Capture.JPG

Not applicable
Author

Excellent suggestion.  I have not used Background colors before, as I am relatively new to all this.

Is there a known shortfall of the visual cues that they would not provide the same results?  Is background color the preferred solution?

Many thanks for the answer!

Not applicable
Author

I prefer Background Colors, since it offers more flexibility.  Visual cues are good for numeric data, but don't seem to handle date fields very well. Anything you can do in Visual Cues, you can do in Background colors, but ultimately I think it is just personal preference.