Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

counting from max(logindate) (Set Analysis question)

We want to examine customers who've left our online program. We collect data each time they log in; thus, I know the last day they logged in, which was

simple to find in a table using "max(logindate)".

Now we want to know how many times they logged in during the year PREVIOUS to their last log in. I tried the following using Set Analysis:

=count({$<logindate={">=(max(logindate)-365)"}>} logindate)

To my mind, this instructed the program to count each occurrence of "logindate" greater than or equal to the max(logindate)-365. I checked in a separate table, and "logindate-365" does indeed yield the same day, one day earlier. However, my total is uniformly "0", which I know is incorrect.

Is this a syntax error, or a logic error?

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Kevin

try this:

=count({$<logindate={">=$(=date(max(logindate)-365))"}>} logindate)

MayilVahanan

Hi,

Try like this,

=Count({<logindate = {'>=$(=Date(Max(logindate)-365))<=$(=Date(Max(logindate)))'}>}logindate)

Edit:

=Count({<logindate = {'>=$(=TimeStamp(Max(logindate)-365))<=$(=TimeStamp(Max(logindate)))'}>}logindate) 

Check both fields are in same format

Hope it helps

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Pari,

Tried that, no progress; going to try Mayil's suggestion

Not applicable
Author

i'm pretty sure both expressions should work correctly

Not applicable
Author

Mayil,

Thanks, but that didn't work either - still just get "0" for all companies. But just doing a simple count of "logindate" shows numbers that range from 0 to over 2,000, and that latter was for a company whose last login was just a week ago, so they would have to have at least 1 login in their last year.

This is the sort of thing that's CPU intensive but so simple to program in a procedural language like VB; it's trying to figure out to do it in QV that has me baffled!

Not applicable
Author

send same data sample

i think there is something with date format:)

Not applicable
Author

=Count({<logindate = {">=$(=AddYears(Date(Max(logindate)),-1))<=$(=Date(Max(logindate)))"}>}logindate)

MayilVahanan

Hi,

=Count({<logindate = {“>24/07/2011"}>}logindate) check wheather there's data ??If so..the above expression also work..

Can you post a sample?

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

re: posting samples:

1 - the file is huge (millions of records, takes about 3 minutes just to load into QV)

2 - the data is sensitive - my boss doesn't like it going out of house

3 - I'm not sure how to create a sample app!

However, Mayil, your last note was spot on - just doing that count resulted in ZERO's! I have a listbox "Logindate" open next to my table, and when I select a company that has max(Logindate) = 7/24/2012 (i.e. today), and do a count of logins from 1/1/2011, the listbox "Logindate" has 2860 lines (we use the full date field, down to HH:MM:SS, so we have multiple logins on the same day), but the table shows zero.

Curioser and curiouser..