Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

differance between sum(sales) & sum(Total Sales)

Hi all,

I am having doubt about Total keyword. what exactly it does?

when I use Sum(Sales) in 1st textbox and Sum(Total Sales) in 2nd textbox. Both showing same result.

even when I select any filters still shows same result. Also I found Sum(Total < Year > Sales) on internet. Its not working my side.

it will be really appreciated if any one can help me on this.

7 Replies
muthukumar77
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

Sum(Sales) and Sum(Total Sales) expression is giving same output in text box.

In Chart or Straight table, Output value will be different.

Eg:

Region wise Sales

Sum(Sales)      Sum(Total Sales)

South     100                      1300

East       500                      1300

North      400                      1300

West      300                       1300

Output will be like this.

Muthukumar Pandiyan
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

TOTAL has no effect in a text box. It causes the function (Sum() in this case) to ignore the dimensions in a table or chart.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi ,

I used it in chart and straight table. It shows comparison between month wise sale and total of sale. It looks correct but not required column added. Also once I click on particular month Sum(Sales) & Sum( Total Sales) becomes same.

Please suggest.

avinashelite

Total key world give the total on all the data set when not selected ..when you select a single it takes that particular value you could specify the dimension for total with the key word

hope this helps you

Not applicable
Author

Sorry could not get it.

My query is that  once I click on particular month Sum(Sales) & Sum( Total Sales) becomes same.

It should not be.

avinashelite

See when you make any selection it will take that into consideration , if you dont want that to consider you need to mention the same in the below format see my 2nd example

1.Sum(Total Sales)     will ignore the dimensions (but will respect any selections you have made)

2.Sum(Total <Dim1> Sales)          will show the total Sales by Dim1, ignoring selections

Hope this helps you

Anil_Babu_Samineni

I hope you will receive all respective and nice explanation. So, You may close this thread as you feel good one.

Note: Try from your end Simple data like 4 / 5 rows then look

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful