Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

dynamically changing dimension based on selection

how can one create a dimension based on the field [DIFF.123] where one creates that field based on user selections (string concat)?

Or the user selects the field from a $Field listbox and the dimension of a chart is tied to that selection?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can create a table with the field names with something like this:

// For all tables, get field names, put them in table called f_names, field called FName
for ii=1 to NoOfTables()-1  // -1 here because otherwise f_names table itself is included
  for jj=1 to NoOfFields(TableName($(ii)) )
       f_names:

LOAD FieldName($(jj),TableName($(ii))) as FName

Autogenerate 1;

next
next

If you only want FName values starting with DIFF you can put an if statement in the above code, or use the table to create a new one with only the FName values you want, or create a listbox and restrict the values in the listbox with an if statement.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Is this what you're looking for? -> Customizable Straight Table

Not applicable
Author

It's close and I've implemented tables like that in the past.  My problem is that I won't know ahead of time the names of the possible fields.  Just every field loaded like 'DIFF.*'; so I can't precreate the dimensions and expressions in the chart.  My specific case is that I want to set the dimension equal to something like [$(getfieldselections($Field))]; however, when I do this, I get an internal consistency error and QV crashes.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can create a table with the field names with something like this:

// For all tables, get field names, put them in table called f_names, field called FName
for ii=1 to NoOfTables()-1  // -1 here because otherwise f_names table itself is included
  for jj=1 to NoOfFields(TableName($(ii)) )
       f_names:

LOAD FieldName($(jj),TableName($(ii))) as FName

Autogenerate 1;

next
next

If you only want FName values starting with DIFF you can put an if statement in the above code, or use the table to create a new one with only the FName values you want, or create a listbox and restrict the values in the listbox with an if statement.

Not applicable
Author

Okay, so create an island is what it seems you are suggesting.  I can easily do that, thx.