Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to load and link a new excel file with a cyclic group field

Hi, I am trying to load and link an excel budget file that pretty much looks like below:

BU/Segment      Target

A                         100

1                          100

A being a BU, 1 being a segment, of which these 2 fields are under a cyclic group in the main pivot or straight table.There are a total of 5 different BU's and segments. Any help is greatly appreciated!

25 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi ChangMY1

Can you share your qvw?

Manish Virmani

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@@Thank you both! I am getting synthetic keys and if i renamed it, i wouldn't get anything in my table, as it won't be linked to the main table. I tried joining that to the main table, it's not working either... Also, it's not picking up the last BU, there are 6 BU's and 5 segments.  Please see qvw attached.

Thanks again for your patience and time.

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

It looks like you have another big table in the data model that also has both BUs and Segments. So the synthetic key is expected to join the combinations from both.

The other table is a fact table that reports things like Sales etc..  it sounds like you are getting Sales reported for a combination of BU and Segment and need to analyze that vs. a target.

Knowing that i think a better data model would be to load BUs and their targets as one table, Segments and their targets as another table and load your main fact table 'as is'.  Since BU and Segment are in the main fact table already you can create a cycle off those and still reference BU and Segment targets seperately. 

at this point i'm completely open to having a skpe discssion to resolve this if you need...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi sure, when would be good time? Please let me know, thanks and have a great weekend!

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

Monday at 10 eastern would work.  If you can accept my friend request in community i'll send you my skype coordinates.

thanks

jonny

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

solution:

The fact table had both BU and Segment, just no targets.  We loaded BU and BU target as one lookup table for BU targets (joined to fact on BU) and a 2nd table with just segments and segment target (also joined to fact table but on segment)