Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

image handling best practice

Hi

I will need to load between 500 to 1000  photos into a QV application every month. New photos will add up to the existing ones. Do you know some best practices for the following:

- recommended format and size of the images

- storage in qlikview server

- file transfer into the qlikview server (i have to pull them from a different server)

- file load (i have already check the white paper related to this topic and loaded pictures, but want to know other considerations)

- is there any relation to take into account regarding "text box" object caption/width and height and size of the picture so that they keep the quality and do not appear as cut ( this is the case,even using qv settings)

- tasks automation: file transfer, storage and load

thanks for any help

felipe

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Assuming you will not load them into the QlikView app using the BUNDLE LOAD, the closer the files are bewteen them (QVW and images) the better, as it will take less time to load. Note that if your users are going to open the app using a browser, the larger the files are, the longer the QVW will take to open and load, so I'd save them in a web format, low quality, and just in case add a link to the original, bigger file should they want to download it. If they are going to use a tablet, the recommended screen size is 1024*768.

In cases where images where key to the app, I always set a link to open the file instead of showing it in QlikView.

Any automation should be done by the Windows Task Scheduler and BAT files that can copy or move files from their original folders to the QlikView ones.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Assuming you will not load them into the QlikView app using the BUNDLE LOAD, the closer the files are bewteen them (QVW and images) the better, as it will take less time to load. Note that if your users are going to open the app using a browser, the larger the files are, the longer the QVW will take to open and load, so I'd save them in a web format, low quality, and just in case add a link to the original, bigger file should they want to download it. If they are going to use a tablet, the recommended screen size is 1024*768.

In cases where images where key to the app, I always set a link to open the file instead of showing it in QlikView.

Any automation should be done by the Windows Task Scheduler and BAT files that can copy or move files from their original folders to the QlikView ones.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Miguel,

thanks for this. :

According to the application design, there will be a sheet in the application showing 2 or several photos. The user shall be able to click on a navigation object (forward, backward button) and compare Photo1 with Photo 2. For each of them, there wil be the navigation objects. The users will not "download" the photos, i hope i undestood in the sense you meant. Users will navigate and see the photos indistinctively with a goal they shall have to compare both of them. The association capabilities of Qlikview shall be present, so if i filter by, say year, the result shall return the photos that were created in that year.

I still have some questions

1. I did a test with 20 photos using bundle load and it was still ok on the browser. Is there any other way to load the pictures in the application? i created an excel file, with contact_id, and the path to the corresponding photo and then called the photo from a text object. This complied with the design, but my concern is, if this works fast for over 1000 pictures.

2. I have my images as .jpg files. It means, is it better to have them in gif or png format, right? or what is better?

3. what do you mean with the closer the files are between them, the better? in one folder?

4. the idea of a link to the photo, is not really possible, because, it is not part of the design. The user wants to see the photo in the application, and filter photos based on what he is lookig for. How realistic is this for over 1000 photos? (i still do not have the pictures)

Thanks

Felipe

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Felipe,

Aswering to your questions:

1.- The path should actually behave better with many more pictures. Note that at the end, these pictures are part of the model and the heavier the model is, the longer each click will take.

2.- I personally prefer PNG files because of edition possibilities and compression, but you know your requirements better than me. JPG will work all right as well.

3.- Not in the same folder, but at least in the same server or shared resource. I mean that if your images are going to be in a web site, and you are going to show them using the text object and the website, it will be slower than having the file in the same hard disk.

4.- Closely related to #1: how big are those images? If 1000 pictures use 2GB space (assuming 2MB each, which is quite common), you will need 2GB of RAM only to load into memory those images. Now add an average 10% of those 2GB for each additional user that opens the application... kind of huge for me, and another reason to use paths instead.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi  MIguel

1. Understood, then is correct what i did. I review the script and did not use bundle load.

2. Png shall not be impossible

3. i get the images transferred from a different server into th qv one and store them in the hard disk in the same folder, then this should be fine

4. i misunderstood this, then the link approach is implemented.

thanks for your help

felipe