Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III

reference line

Hello there,

Looking to add a reference line to a horizontal bar chart. Normally this is pretty easy using the presentation tab, reference line, but my dimension causes some issues.

My dimension is a field where the values are a range, '0-19', '20-39', etc. I want to assign a reference line at a particular point, say 40.

bars.png

15 Replies
romansavchuk
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

May be this chart helps you

I draw at the selected bar one background bar. - it`s not reference line on selected dimension, but maybe it helps you.

I had investigate a lot of resources, but i haven`t found anything with reference line as on the Chart Example.png.

May be extensions such Google Charts has such functionality, because QlikView as I see allow this only for continuous dimension.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe one solution could be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_203383_Pic2.jpg

Re: In a chart - can I show "today"?

hope this helps

regards

Marco

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Marco,

This is an interesting approach, but I dont think it will work in this case.

This solution requires the x-axis to be marked as continuous and if I do that, I lose the true value of the field (as it changes to a number).

0-19 becomes 0

20-39 becomes 20

Since there is no number option for string, I am not sure how to get the true labels back.

This did get me thinking though. I wonder if I could create this field as a dual so that the range is the string, and assign a value to the second part). Doing that might just allow for a continuous axis.

MarcoWedel

I'm not quite sure whether a continuous valued reference line in between discrete bars makes much sense but one way to do so might be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_306240_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_306240_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_306240_Pic3.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_306240_Pic4.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_306240_Pic5.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Marco,

Thank you for putting together this example and taking the time to outline the steps. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just had the chance to review this.

I cant seem to make this work for me.

My dimension is a field, Patient_MME_Bucket. It is based on the actually score in Patient_MME_Score, but it already represents the bucket, i.e. "0-19", or "30-49".

One potential problem is that my numbers get quite large, 1000's. Not sure if that is the reason, but my bars dont actually line up with the new labels.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

can you create a small set of sample data (incl. your Patient_MME_Bucket field) and your required result based on this data to get a better impression?

thanks

regards

Marco