cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

schedule QlikView reload and publish upon completion of SQL Agent task

We have SQL Agent scheduled ETL jobs that build fact tables in a datamart each day. How can I make the reload tasks in Qlikview Management Service dependent on success of those tasks? We have been manually scheduling things and hoping for the best but then it burns us as the ETL takes longer than expected sometimes and the Qlik runs with partial data.

I have seen instruction on how to trigger QV externally, but this is not enough as we need multiple sequential qlikviews to be reloaded AND published which involves copying the file to the right folder on the server and assiging user permissions, etc. and then sending an email PDF report.

4 Replies
skamath1
Creator III
Creator III

Try EDX that allows triggering QlikView reload from external agent

https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-Documents/Using-EDX-in-QlikView-11/ta-p/1478952
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

You mentioned some files, so I am hoping the following may potentially work for you, as it would be much easier than doing EDX triggers I believe.  You would need to be on November 2018 or April 2019 releases for this, 12.30.xxxxx or 12.40.xxxxx.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Content/QV_HelpSites/Whats_New_in_QlikView.htm

Check out the topic on "File Exists" feature.  The catch with it is you need to be sure you have the task to check if the file shows up, but you will need to be sure to set a task to remove it once it is processed, so it does not keep triggering things! 🙂  You can use an External Supporting Task to do that and just make a CMD.exe /c call to Delete filename...  Hopefully this may work for you, otherwise the EDX triggers would be the only other option, but it might also be worth getting up with your account manager to arrange a discussion with the consultants to talk about what other customers have done, as they may know of some other use cases that might apply to yours.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

This sounds very promising, however I cannot find this feature. I have April 2019 version of QlikView. The general tab of a task does not contain these options. There is a Basics section with the enabled, name, and description, then Summary below that. Where is the file exists option?

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sorry about that, navigate the following:

QMC\System\Supporting Tasks\External Program

When you go to create a new task there, you should it, sorry, did not think to check if the Help told you how to get there, my bad!

Cheers,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.