Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

simple question?

Tell me the  situtaions

when we go for master calendar ?

if i have date field in table?  type of calendar go for ( i guess min,max)

if i have no date field in table?

if i have date field in dimension table not in fact ?

tell me the possible situtaions ?

i have shared links pls dont share thraeds to read.

possible give me answer here it self?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
its_anandrjs

Hi,

1.When we have date fields but not any date dimension then we create the master calendar and use that dimensions.

2.If we do not have continuous date fields in Fact table like there is not regular transaction in the fact table but we need all date fields then we use.

3.We have date field but not in proper order in the format.

4.If you have date field in dimension then connect it with any master calendar then your model looks like snow flake model.

5. Suppose we need future dates in the model.

5. We need fiscal calendar.

And there is many reasons for this

Regards

Anand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

We need a calendar when we have dates.

If we have more dates we need more calendar (because date of orders is something different from date of invoice for example and must be selected separately)

Calendar is used from min to max but you can decide that date is not important and so you have weeks, month, quarter year.

If you have no date you do not need calendar!

It is not important if date is in fact or not because calendar table is linked to any table where there is a date

Hope it helps

its_anandrjs

Hi,

1.When we have date fields but not any date dimension then we create the master calendar and use that dimensions.

2.If we do not have continuous date fields in Fact table like there is not regular transaction in the fact table but we need all date fields then we use.

3.We have date field but not in proper order in the format.

4.If you have date field in dimension then connect it with any master calendar then your model looks like snow flake model.

5. Suppose we need future dates in the model.

5. We need fiscal calendar.

And there is many reasons for this

Regards

Anand