cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

three tables, best approach?

Hi,

this is a question on the best way to approach the management of tables as i keep having issues with the Consultant links. I'm thinking i could approach the tables structure in a better way.  My goad is to achieve the following view in QlikView:-

I have 3 db tables and one Excel s/sheet:-

1=Team (separate table in db, only common field is Team.Id)

2=Consultants (separate table in the db. this has the team.id as well as the user.id)

3=Actual Value(separate table in the db. this has the team and user id's)

4=Target Value (excel spreadsheet containing team and user id's)

Is the best approach to have separate tables for each and link them all to the Target Actual's OR should i be concatenating into the one "Fact" table.

Opinion much appreciated.

Regards

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's hard to tell a "best" approach without knowing the full requirements, but I would start with a star schema and a concatenated fact table:

1) Concatenate Actual and Target value tables into a single fact table.

2) Link the Consultants table to the fact table (creating a separate dimension table).

3) Either link/join the Team table to the Consultants table or link the Team table to the fact table. It seems that the relation Team <-> Consultants is provided redundantely in facts as well as Consultant table. If the relations are consistent in both places, I would probably join Team to Consultants. If the data is not consistent, you need to decide how you want to handle this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thank-you