Skip to main content

QlikView Connectivity

Discussion board for collaboration related to QlikView Connectors.

Announcements
CUSTOMERS ONLY: Now accepting customer applications for the 2023 Luminary Program: SUBMIT NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njmaehler
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

QlikView 12.60 and TLS 1.2

Please can I ask for guidance in regards to OLE DB connectivity within QlikView 12.60 and TLS 1.2?
Previously the client used TLS 1.0 with the "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" and everything worked seamlessly. Last week they disabled both TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 and upgraded to TLS 1.2 on both their QlikView server and the SQL Server. I have checked the registry settings and they are the same as per the recommendation in  https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/SSL-Security-error-using-Microsoft-OLE-DB-Pr...

and https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/SSL-Security-error-using-Microsoft-OLE-DB-Pr...

I do know that the QlikView version 12.60 is supported by TLS 1.2 as per 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Supported-TLS-and-SSL-Protocols-and-Ciphers/...
but the issue is that I am unable to connect and the error is [DBNETLIB}{Connection Open (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error. when I am trying to use my old connection details (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server).
I then tried to just use an ODBC connection and that causes an issue in that it stops and requires the user name and password to be entered which means we are now unable to schedule the reloads in the early hours of each morning.
The company installed Microsoft OLE DB Driver 19 for SQL Server and when I try and use that, I am getting the error when I try to select the database and the error is "SSL Provider: The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted".  It doesn't matter if I have selected either Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication. I was hoping this would resolve the issue because there is the option to "allow saving password". 
I then forced the OLEDB CONNECT TO Provider=MSOLEDBSQL19.1;Integrated Security=SSPI; ...... but that too prompts for a user name and password.
We have tested the data link provider "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" in both Power BI and Excel on the server and both are working 100%. What am I missing within the Qlik environment? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
njmaehler
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

We have managed to resolve the issue by getting the ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server to appear in the ODBC data  source list. We were then able to use that and save the user name and password. It took quite a bit to get the driver to appear because initially it did not appear. 
Below are the comments from the infrastructure team. 
After trying many a thing this seems to have done the trick:

  1. Installed the driver on a computer that did display it in the Data Source Administrator
  2. Compared this computer with servers registry
  3. Copied by registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server over to the server
  4. Create a new key in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers key: String Value: ODBC 17 for SQL Server Value: installed

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Bill_Britt
Support
Support

Hi,

It is the native SQL driver installed with the OS.  See the below, 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/OLEDB-Connection-not-working-with-TLS-1-2/ta...

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
njmaehler
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Bill,
Thanks but unfortunately, we have already tried this and changed the connection string to include the Provider=MSOLEDBSQL19.1 manually because we cannot use the Connect "OLE DB" and select the Provider option "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL" without getting the SSL Security error when trying to select the database. 
Do you think something is conflicting? 

 

njmaehler
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

We have managed to resolve the issue by getting the ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server to appear in the ODBC data  source list. We were then able to use that and save the user name and password. It took quite a bit to get the driver to appear because initially it did not appear. 
Below are the comments from the infrastructure team. 
After trying many a thing this seems to have done the trick:

  1. Installed the driver on a computer that did display it in the Data Source Administrator
  2. Compared this computer with servers registry
  3. Copied by registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server over to the server
  4. Create a new key in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers key: String Value: ODBC 17 for SQL Server Value: installed