Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with source documents in QMC

Hi,

I have an strange problem.  We are using QlikView 11.20 with the publisher installed.

Since different departments are developing and publishing applications, we wanted to setup some security on the QMC.  Therefore, I wanted to start using Document Administrators, and setup the folders in the Distribution Services with the respective document administrators.  This did not solve the problem, every Qlikview administrator is still able to see/manage all documents, also the ones he is not a document administrator for.

A side effect of this setup is that my scheduled reloads fail.  Looking at the source documents, all folders have an orphan folder with the complete folder structure underneath.

Clipboard01.jpg

Deleting tasks there, also deletes them in the proper folders.  Has anybody seen such a fenomenon, and can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

11 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The issue is you need to break down the source folder for each user. You can't pick the top level for each users, because it will allow each user to see all the document . Look at the picture below. If I set the Source Document for each user to c:\source document all users would see the document in user1 and user2  folder. So, if I only one user1 to see the document in the user1 folder I would assign him to the user1 folder only.

1.png

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply! I have setup different source folders for different users, but still, every QlikView admin can manage every document in the QMC. :

Best Regards,

Miriam

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Yes, a QlikView Admin will be able to. A document Admin will not be able to.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Document Administrators cannot be member of the QlikView Administrators local group, as they will be granted access to everything in QMC anyway by this simple membership.

Do you know if any of the current document administrators has seen the number of QMC tabs reduced to only the first two (Status & Documents). If not, then they clearly belong to the wrong group.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this. I guess using document admins will not work for our setup then. I see that you have to make each folder a mounted folder on the access point, but our load scripts for the data are in different folders than the dashboards, and obviously, we don’t want them to appear on the access point …

I’d like to give someone the possibility to setup load schedules for their application (raw data -> data model -> dashboard), but only publish the dashboard to the access point.

Regards,

Miriam

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

HI,

You don't have to make each folder a mount on the access point. You only have to setup separate source document folders.

Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

That I tried, but then if the user tries to access the QMC, the following error appears:

Access Denied

Membership of local security groups is missing.

Please refer to the manual for more information.

The user is member of the local group : QlikView Document Administrators, and in the QMC he is defined as document admin for several source folders.

Regards,

Miriam

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

HI,

Did you add the user to the Folder Access under the server settings?

Untitled.png

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Yes, but that’s my problem. All QlikView documents reside under subfolders of 1 root folder. : c:\qvlive

Underneath that we have : c:\qvlive\dataprep\ …

C:\qvlive\datamodel\...

C:\qvlive\dashboards\...

The dashboard folder is the root folder for the access point, but the document administrators should also be able to access qvw files in the other folders, which I don’t want to see on the access point.

To be able to grant them access to the folder on eg. dataprep, I have to ad that folder as a mounted folder …

Regards,

Miriam