30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2014 10:40 AM by Peter Cammaert RSS

Further thoughts on Qlik Community Guidelines

Steve Dark

It's good to see that there are now some published Usage Guidelines for Qlik Community , thank you sli for adding these to the site.  I had been thinking this was something that was required and drafted my thoughts on what should go into some guidelines.  Some of these items have been addressed in the official guidelines, others have not.  I would welcome the thoughts of others as to whether any of these should be incorporated into the official site guidelines.

1. Please search for answers before asking your question, some common questions have been asked (and answered) many times already.

2. Please mark answers as correct or helpful when they are either of these things - this helps other users find answers to their questions and assists those looking to give advice to find where their input can be useful.

3. Do not post the same question into many groups - pick the one that is most appropriate.  This reduces duplication of threads and means that thoughts on resolutions to issues are all in one place.

4. Please use the Community to increase your knowledge to solve your own problems - you should however not expect other contributors to necessarily provide fully working applications in response to your queries.  No one has a specific duty to do your job for you!

5. Posts that simply state that you agree with another contributor add little to a thread and can often simply add clutter.  If you think a response is a good one please use the Like button to acknowledge this - future readers can then see that a much Liked response may be worth extra consideration.

6. Do not upload other peoples work without proper attribution - or better still post a link to the other material so that it can be viewed in context.  Under no circumstances post copyrighted material to the Community.

7. Be careful when uploading data to the Community - an example of an issue can be helpful but please ensure you are not sharing sensitive information.

8. Get involved and enjoy!  Qlik Community is a great resource and you will get out of it what you put in.

Those are just my thoughts, I'm sure others in the Community will have their own thoughts.  Feel free to share your comments below.

Steve

• Re: Further thoughts on Qlik Community Guidelines
          Michael Solomovich

7b.  Please reduce your applications before uploading!
          (Speaking for myself - I'm not downloading any MB-sized applications)

Peter Cammaert

7c. Switch off Section Access before uploading! Threads tend to get bulky when visitors that are eager to solve a problem (and earn some points) discover an inaccessible upload.

Peter Cammaert

5b. Read the entire thread before replying to a question. Someone may have posted the same solution before you.

Steve,

Completely agree with all your remarks.

I would say

1b

1 thread = 1 question (not 5, not 10)

1 question answered = 1 closed theread (if another question, another thread)

1c

read the docs that other people recommend you to read to get your question answered

(many times, I see people that ask new questions wihout reading the appropriate docs that were recommended)

Fabrice

For myslef:

7d Upload script also into text files (qvw and txt): some people (like me) have Personal Edition. the community is a perfect place where I learn much. And I am often frustrated by solutions that I cannot open ...

Fabrice

Puttemans Johan

In addition to it, I'd make a strong claim to think not once, twice or 3x over your title for the question, but 10x. Things like 'urgent help needed' are actually helping no-one, and make the reader lose time if he/she finds out the topic is not in his/her area of knowledge. Try to define the topic as specific as possible, which will make you get an answer much faster, and, referring to number 1 in the list, will help someone searching as well.

Peter Cammaert

Very useful in this list would be some guidance on how to use the "Delete post" link as a sort of cleanup feature. I have my own policy (drop doubles, drop misinterpretations & mistakes, drop seriously off-topic stuff) but it seems not everyone agrees on whether the Delete function should be used at all...

Sara Leslie

Wow these are all such valuable best practices! Great to hear from all of you on this topic and I completely agree. I will talk with the team on co-creation of a user best practices doc. I think this will be beneficial for all members but especially the newer ones!.

Best Regards, Sara

Tresesco B

In addition to all very significant points mentioned by all experts above, I would like to highlight another:

Some of the members are very very frequent in the community with their questions. Sometimes it seems that they are almost fully dependent on the community for their project. It's a sincere request to them: 'Please try yourself harder to solve the issue first, if you can't get it done even after honest try - you are always welcome here and people would be more than happy to help. This approach would help you learn. You remember the one for ever that you get to discover yourself and tend to forget the one that you just get it done by others.

It is understandable that people new to qv would come up with some basic questions, but if you are not that newbie and have to visit community frequently with basic queries, better to introspect that something is not right; may be learning/improvement is not there as expected.

Note: This is by no means to hurt anybody but to share my view-point that I thought some people might find helpful.

Steve Dark

Hi Tresesco - I completely agree with you on this one.  If it is your job to deliver QlikView solutions and you have to ask questions on the community every step of the way then you probably need to pay get a consultant in or to get some decent training.  Many of the people (myself included) giving advice on these forums will offer these services - or you can look on the list of partners on the Qlik website.

Alan Farrell

Hi Steve,

I agree with everything you have said regarding the guidelines, however, it is worth pointing out, a lot of people asking questions are not Qlikview Consultants, they are individuals in organisations that have stumbled across Qlikview and have realized it's potential, they generally tend to be motivated individuals in small to medium organisations trying to demonstrate to the senior management teams that Qlikview is a product they should be using.

In these cases, (and I know many people doing this) a training budget is just not there, in fact most would be using the Qlikview Personal Edition, this community is the only support they have, and in the long term may well require consultancy in the future, once their enthusiasm for Qlikview spreads through their own organisation.

Having said that, following the guidelines you have mentioned above whether they be experts or novices, consultants or not, is good advice.

Thanks for the post! I need to try follow these too!

Kind Regards

Alan

Peter Cammaert

I thought some of these serial kilposters were busy writting QlikView books (good thing!) and launching chapter titles to the community for others to fill the body text

Seriously, a few mass posters shouldn't spoil the fun indeed, but how would you translate things like that into guidelines without starting a long list of Don't Do This-items? Isn't that something that belongs more to the self-regulating nature of a forum where highly-experienced members like yourselves point out their unsympathetic behavior?

Steve Dark

People who post a lot are not a problem at all - it is great to have a vibrant thriving community.  It's when this is coupled with the expectation that the Community owes them a completed working solution it can grow tiresome.

The ideal is (I believe) that people use the Community to grow their knowledge so that in time they can give back to the Community by solving problems for others.

Peter Cammaert

You're right of course on both counts (#4 and #8 in your list). But what shall/can we do about this? Growing a long list of guidelines may not be the most effective method to manage a community as diverse as ours.

How about a list of common sense-principles that we agree upon and that guide us and others in giving feedback to various (sometimes annoying) situations in a tolerant but efficient way? You already have a backbone in you OP and everyone in this thread has added to range and quality. All of this only applies if you believe in the concept of self-regulation.

For me at least, it's refreshing to hear that many other members I respect are thinking along the same lines as I am. Thanks for that.

Peter Cammaert

Got another one that pops-up once in a while. I fell into this trap quite a few times.

5c. Look at the date on the initital post. You may be wasting your time when replying to a question that is years old.

Of course, this would not be needed if original posters would comply with guideline 2 and Fabrice's 1b.

Steve Dark

Hi Peter, I will often respond to old posts if I can give a very quick answer.  I'm often led to old posts by the More Like This links after posting a response to a newer question.  Sometimes posting a link back to the question I have just answered then provides an answer to the old thread.

This is unlikely to resolve the issue for the person who raised the initial question (they probably solved it ages ago - perhaps by getting a response to the same question in another thread (see point 3)) or gain me any points.  What it does do though is leave more threads with valid answers (or pointers to them) which means that people could just possibly be more inclined to follow point one (and it was 1 for a reason) and search for answers before asking a new question.

Peter Cammaert

I differ a little bit on this (keeps the discussion alive)

Aren't you arguing for a Google-like effect when searching for answers: a massive return of useful-useless-double-old information through which everyone has to wade, hoping to find the one?

Currently I'm more inclined to think that searching the Community would improve a lot if old questions without correct or helpful answers would simply be archived or deleted altogether. For me, the latest identical question with your correct/helpful answer is sufficient. It seems that would save you some time as well.

Steve Dark

Nice thought!  The only draw back is many of the questions that do not have any helpful or correct answers flagged on them do have perfectly good answers - it's just that the initial poster has not flagged them as such.  A bit of human intervention would be required - I don't expect sli would be too keen on that approach!

Gysbert Wassenaar

Perhaps an option can be added similar to a Like. A sort of 'I think this is a correct answer' button/image. The result could be shown on the right, just below Bookmark and Liked. And on the post that people mark as a correct answer.

Peter Cammaert

Yes, I agree. But she's not alone. Managing a forum/knowledge base/resource library is a collective undertaking of both officials and participants in order to avoid the creation of such bottlenecks. Other Community moderators sometimes intervene in discussions where I post an answer and tag it as correct, so that practice is already "common".  Although it usually mystifies me why and why so soon...

Let's assume that only very old questions would be archived. Wouldn't that put just enough pressure on posters to obey guideline #2 at the risk of being "deleted"?

Gysbert Wassenaar

I don't think archiving or deleting is a good idea. But adding a date range option to the search criteria would be nice. This way the user can decide to include or exclude discussion or post older than xxx.

Gysbert,

Certainly the search tool could be enhanced with

- version

- date range

- solved or not, get helpful answers or not

- type of QlikView (desktop, server ....)

etc.

I have used the search tool several times: I got the answer i was looking for, but after looking much into the threads (other people would have posted a question before that). The only classification between them is the text you are looking for: what is the degree of relevance of each thread? If you do not use the same words, you do not get the right threads.

Much more difficult to implement: a rating made by experts to rate answers, in order to rate these threads and make them appear prior to others. Perhaps the existing recommendations made by users could be taken into account by the search tool.

Even more difficult: make the users look for existing answers before posting a new question.

Fabrice

Steve Dark

A previous version of the Community had a better search on it.  One of the things that you could check for was whether there were any responses to a thread.  When looking for threads to post answers to it is much easier to respond when there is not a whole stream of conversation to wade through first.  Just being able to filter on answered/non answered would be good - though the icon gives a good indication.

The biggest problem with the search, as Aunez says is how little it seems to get used.

Peter Cammaert

The same overview still exists - more or less- if you go to a specific forum and select the "Content" tab. The list of threads is shown with a lot of extra info. The field underneath All Content can be used to search through these threads.

But the global search has lost that feature...

Search isn't used as often as we would like, mainly because to some people it seems like a waste of time. With the number of members eager to post answers and earn points these days, there is nothing as effective as submitting a question again and waiting for someone to post a useful answer, a working application or a piece of script code. Now we're almost back to the mass posters of questions, I guess.

Valerio Fatatis

Steve,

very good document and analysis

Deepak Vadithala

Hi Steve,

Great thread! Thank you. I've posted something similar 18 months back. I've posted as documents and hopefully they'll help everyone.

How to get answers to your post?

It's not about the answer, rather it’s about the question!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com