Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is that possible to Append/Add data to QlikView Application based on user request.

Hi Guys,

I was trying to load only 6 months data into Memory initially because maximum users (80%) browse 6 months data but few staffs (20%) browse above 6 months data like 12 Months/18 months/24 months data weekly or monthly basis but not on daily basis.

The main purpose of doing this is to save RAM (Instead of loading 2 years data into ram load only 6 months and if someone wants then he/she should load 12/18/24 months data into memory but again on next day it will drooped from memory and will have 6 months data into memory ) space so that number of concurrent users may increase.

Initially I thought, I should make 4 documents each contains 6 month data and can provide 3 buttons like "Show 2nd 6 months data" ''Action:Open QlikView Document'' for 2nd 6 months/3rd 6 months/4th 6 months.

Main Application Recent 6 monthsjavascript:;
2nd 6 Months Data Doc-23rd 6 Months Data Doc-34th 6 Months Data Doc-4

But this technique will not work if someone wants to aggregate 5th month and 7th month data because 5th month data will be available in 1st 6 month document (Doc-1) and 7th month data will be available in 2nd 6 month document (Doc-2) and both will be opening separately.

Then I thought ok lets go in this way:

Main Application (Doc-1) holds recent 6 months Data, Doc-2 Holds recent 12 months data, Doc-3 holds recent 18 months data, Doc-4 holds 24 months

Main Application Recent 6 months
Recent 12 Months Data Doc-2Recent 18 Months Data Doc-3Recent 24 Months Data Doc-4

But here I will be loading repetitive data in Doc-2, Doc-3, Doc-4.

Next I thought, Is that possible that initially I should bring only 6 months data into memory and if someone request (Need to provide user control) then another 6/12/18 months data should bring into memory and should be appended with initial 6 months data.

Note: I don't want to give reload control to users.

Experts I need you guys help to fix and decide the best design.

23 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

How about just two documents:

1 Recent 6 months,

2. All 24 months

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Rob,

Thanks for suggestion. There is any other way or possibility?

Can we do any thing using Binary Load?

sunny_talwar

I know you mentioned giving the reload is not a possibility, what about giving partial reload capability to users?

I have worked on application where users can load new data into the application (same format as the one already in the application) and append it to the existing data using partial reload. I feel if you give them the option to perform a partial reload, they can add the 6/12/18 months data as they might require it.

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

Sunny,

I am not sure about it but I may give a try.

Could you please provide any sample script for above you have said?

I will trying implementing and see how it goes.

sunny_talwar

I am unable to share what I have, but I can work on getting you a sample application.

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

Sunny,

Also I got another doubt,

If 2 users click on reload 6 months data, then will it be loaded 2 times and will start display duplicate records? I am not sure about it that How we are going to restrict that if data is already loaded in memory then don't load and display a message data is present in memory to browse.

Or Partial load will handle it automatically

sunny_talwar

Well so I was thinking the new excel file will only have the new data and it will get appended to the most recent data. But if that is not the case, we can still only append the new data by using a WHERE NOT EXIST clause and load only the data which is new.

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

In my case, I have 2 years of data ready but to save RAM, I am trying to load only recent 6 months (80% staffs browse there data) and rest 20 % staffs weekly or monthly go browse 1 year or 2 years of data. There is no classified list of users. so thinking to go for dynamic data appending based on user selection or click.

sunny_talwar

Give this a shot. Hopefully this will be helpful.

Use Community_158574_v1 as the partial reload file. and you can perform the partial reload by specifying it on the front end by giving it the full path.

Let me know what you think.

Best,

Sunny