Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dollar sign expansion per dimension

I am trying to work with persistent colors for my dimensions and I also want to be able to switch between different color themes (applying this: Color Logic – loading multiple Color schemes

To do that, I have for each of my dimensions added a field for color. The records in the field are named color1, color2 etc. In another table, I have a matrix with colors with fields named color1, color2 etc. and in each field I have a number of different RGB codes, each referring to a specific color theme.

What I want to achieve is to evaluate the color field for the dimension (for instance color1) and achieve the corresponding RGB-values from the color matrix. However, I am not able to do that.

I can get the color when I select only one dimension, but not without selecting one. I guess this has something to do with how the $-expansion works (read something about), but I have not been able to find a workaround. Does anybody have any idea of how to solve it?

P.S. It's actually a workaround for this question to which I have not received any answer. If anybody has an answer to that, it would be even better 🙂

Color() does not work with expression in charg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I cannot open it at the moment (will do so tomorrow), but I think I understand what you mean (adding the color to each dimension). If so, it would have worked if I only had one dimension, but I do in fact have many different ones (and I want to be able to switch between them through a data island). And I don't want to create circular keys in my data model.

But I was finally able to figure it out myself . See the attached file. It is not the best example. In reality, I have one large fact table with several independent dimensions such as Region and Segment, but I think this example is enough for understanding.

But anyway, thanks for the answer and the proposal. And I am sure it would have worked if my demands would have been different.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe like attached, linking the colors to the dimensions in the data model.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I cannot open it at the moment (will do so tomorrow), but I think I understand what you mean (adding the color to each dimension). If so, it would have worked if I only had one dimension, but I do in fact have many different ones (and I want to be able to switch between them through a data island). And I don't want to create circular keys in my data model.

But I was finally able to figure it out myself . See the attached file. It is not the best example. In reality, I have one large fact table with several independent dimensions such as Region and Segment, but I think this example is enough for understanding.

But anyway, thanks for the answer and the proposal. And I am sure it would have worked if my demands would have been different.