50 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2018 1:51 AM by chandana gowdar RSS

Passing a set of filters in qlikview

chandana gowdar

Hi all ,

I have this below given requirement to display as a table in the qlikview document with the set of filters passed for filtering the data.

surveyprod ctgcharchar typerate 1rate 2rate 3volume
      s1catg 1factor1type 1846100
      s1catg 1factor2type2766200
      s1catg 1factor3type 3978300
      s2catg 1factor1type 1957400
      s2catg 1factor2type2977500
      s2catg 1factor3type 3989600
      s2catg 2factor4type 1747700
      s2catg 2factor2type2867800
      s2catg 2factor3type 3989900

the filters given on the report are :

1.survey

2.prod ctg

3.char

4. char type

5. range slicer(0-10)

output table displays the following columns

1.survey

2.prod ctg

3.char

4.char type

5.volume

the requirement is that the user must be allowed to pass 6 sets of filter.

set of filters include one from the available 5 filters(survey,prod ctg,char,char type,range slicer value)

OR condition needs to be applied when the filter values are passed.

for example: set1 filters OR set2 filters (output will now diplay the data for both the filters selected in set 1 and set 2 )

as i am new to qlikview , i have no idea how to solve this..

can this be handled by setanalysis ? if not then how can this be handled.

Kinldy help with any supportive expressions.

will be greatfull for any kind of help on this post .

thanks.

• Re: Passing a set of filters in qlikview
          Manish Kachhia

You have given long description, but can you also post the final answer you are looking for?

i.e. Apply filter and what could be the output ?

chandana gowdar

Hi Manish ,

the out would be expected in a table calculating the volume of the filters selected.

for example :

Set 1 filter is prod ctg =  ctg 1 , char = factor 1 and char type = type 1

after selecting the above set of filters the table should be displayed.

then the filters are cleared or the selections of filters are cleared to allow the user to select the second set of filters , but the result in the table should still be available

so when user selects the second set of filters

Set 2 filter is prod ctg =  ctg 2 , char = factor 4 and char type = type 1

and say apply filter

The result table should have both the results of SET 1 and SET 2

please help on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Manish Kachhia

Provide output in excel file, if possible.

chandana gowdar

Hi Manish,

Find the below data and the expected :

Data available:
                      surveyprod ctgcharchar typerate 1rate 2rate 3volume
                      s1catg 1factor3type 3978300
                      s2catg 1factor2type2977500
                      s2catg 1factor3type 3989600
                      s2catg 2factor4type 1747700
                      s2catg 2factor2type2867800
                      s2catg 2factor3type 3989

set 1 filters : prod ctg = catg 1 , char = factor 1 and char type = type 1
                      set 2 filters : prod ctg = catg 1 , char = factor 2 and char type = type 2
                      Output required when Set 1 is applied :
                      surveyprod ctgcharchar typerate 1rate 2rate 3volume This table results when the set 1 filters are applied
                      s2catg 1factor1type 1957

Output required when Set 1 and Set 2 is applied :
                      surveyprod ctgcharchar typerate 1rate 2rate 3volumeThis table results when the set 2 filters are applied with the result of Set 1 Filters.
                      s2catg 1factor2type2977

Thanks

chandana gowdar

Hi Manish ,

Any Ideas on the mentioned post??

Manish Kachhia

You can achieve the same using alternate state.

Something like enclosed..

Capture.JPG

chandana gowdar

Hi Manish ,

Thanks for the suggestion , but i am not able to figure out what is enclosed alternate state.

i tried creating state 1 and state 2 for 2 listboxes.. seems like the table should also be assigned some state for the filter to be effected.

please help on how to acheive this.

I also have 5 filters in my case and i cannot be giving the same filters multiple times. so i guess your suggested method may completely satisfy my criteria.

Kindly suggest on the same.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Manish Kachhia

1) create two alternate state. I have created S1 and S2.

2) create two sets of filters. Left hand side filters are having S1 and right hand side filters are having S2 state.

3) Use straight table having default or inherited state.

4) use expression for Volume as below.

RangeSum(SUM({S1}Volume), SUM({S2}Volume))

Hope this helps.

chandana gowdar

HI Manish ,

This works but this is not serving the exact purpose of my report.

my main moto is to allow user to select the set of filters using only single list boxes for respective filter column .

and the first set of selections will refresh the data into the table and then the user clears only the filters but not in the table ,, again on the 2nd set of selected filters the result will get appended to the result of set 1 in the tabel.

main catch is in displaying the selected filters as set 1 and set 2..

please shower thoughts on the same if you have any.

Thanks

Manish Kachhia

Qlik is not storing your selected values in different set of filters.

I think this is difficult to achieve.

So I have provided solution using alternate state which is not 100% the same.

You can, though, wait for Qlik Expert to give you answer on this, as I don't have any answer apart from this.

chandana gowdar

Thanks for your support Manish.

hope any Qlikview Expert will revert and i ll be able to achieve this.

Thanks again.

Manish Kachhia

stalwar1, please have your thought here !

Sunny Talwar

Manish not sure if this would work for OP or not, but the other option is using variables

Capture.PNG

chandana gowdar

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for this answer but unfortunately this doesn't solve our purpose ,

our requirement is as given below:

qv screenshot.JPG

As you can see in the above image the user has selected 3 filters , which is to be treated as filter set 1 .

the user needs to select 5 more sets of filters and all of the filters should be applied into the result set.

for example :

set 2 filters can be as given below

Characteristic = Dexterity

Category = Category 2

product Type = Product 2

So considered this selected filters the result set should display 2 entries in the table which  is for the Set 1 AND Set 2 Filters applied .

so my final result set would have both the entries for cut and Dexterity after the SET 1 and SET 2 Filters are applied .

Capture.JPG

Kindly share the thoughts on how to acheive this.

Thanks in advance,

Sunny Talwar

We have put forward two techniques (alternate state and variables) which is doing exactly what you want.... but I am not sure why it isn't solving your purpose..... what exactly is the concern with alternate state or variable approach? I mean from what I see... they are doing exactly what you have mentioned... but you somehow seem to disagree? or are you concerned about something else?

chandana gowdar

Hi Sunny ,

Yes , the thing bothering me is i don't want to use 2 list boxes to select different entries / filters. i am trying to give the user to select in single list box.

Thanks

Sunny Talwar

That makes sense... but when do you think QlikView should know that you are done making selections for your first set? I mean is there a way (programmatically thinking) for us to tell the application that the user has made his selection for the set 1.... can we know move along to set 2....

Also, let's say user now wants to do another comparison.... set 2 becomes set 1 now? or we start over... I am guessing start over... but how should QlikView know that we have ended set 2?

How about clicking a button at the end of the selection process to tell QlikView that you are done with first selection and then another button to set 2 set of selections?

chandana gowdar

i get your question. i had a thought of using getselectioncount when >= 5 (as i have 5 filter) then clear filters and allow the user to select set 2, but when i cleared the filters the data in the table which was filtered for set 1 is also washed away .

i am unable to capture the set 1 selected and freeze their respective results in the table and then move on to set 2 selection of filters.

also when i implemented the thought of getselectioncount when >= 5 i also was brought to notice that the filters can also be multiple selection permitted. so this >=5 will not work and it didn't work.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks.

Sunny Talwar

You are right... and how do you capture selection in different fields? I mean we are not talking about GetSelectedCount() which captures selections in a single field... we are talking about capturing last 5 selections in any field? And what if the user makes an error on one of the selections and have to change his selection... how should QlikView know that now that the user have made an error... it should allow for 6 or 7 selections.

All these are example of things which is going to cause you a lot of headache. You want to make life easier for users, but trust me this will actually make there life miserable .

I suggest you to take your time and think it through one more time and decide what you really want to offer your users.

chandana gowdar

Sunny, Thanks for your suggestions, but i am pretty much sure of what to provide to the users.

and also sorry for putting you into confussion.

when i mentioned about GetSelectedCount() i meant

IF(GetSelectedCount(Field 1) +....+ GetSelectedCount(Field 5))>= 5 .

like 1+1+1+1+1 >=5

which means one selection from each of the filters.

but i was wrong in the above mentioned logic as the user can select multiple entries in each of the filter.

Anyways thanks a lot for your continuous suggestions ans help.

Sunny Talwar

make sense... I am not sure I have a solution for you my friend... may be mrkachhiaimp have more ideas since we have discussed more things here...

if not, then may be swuehl or marcowedel can share there expertise

chandana gowdar

Thanks for referring , hope i will be able to achieve this by any of your friend's suggestions/thoughts.

Sunny Talwar

Some others who might be able to offer help

gwassenaar

rwunderlich

Rob Wunderlich

This looks to me like a standard case of multiple selections.  With the example given. I'm not seeing the requirement for alternate states or anything like that.  It seems to me that default behavior would handle it.  Am I misunderstanding?

-Rob2018-03-14_5-47-25.png

Sunny Talwar

I guess chandana wants to select a set of selection and then remove them and then make another set of selections. If the additional selections can be on top of the first set of selection... then I guess you are right. But if the selections are removed, how will this still work?

Rob Wunderlich

I could see an edge case where you may need to separate selections.  But when the OP said they were new to QV, I thought they may be missing that a simple solution would be to have the use make multiple selections.  I see requirements like this occasionally from new customers where they try to make QV operate like a workflow/app they are used to.  It's not always a good idea and usually resolved with simple QV by taking a step back and understanding the business requirement.

All that said, if someone wanted to build up a set of discrete filters and union the results, I would think the solution would be a modified version of something like this:

Qlikview Cookbook: Defer Selections Until Apply http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/defer-selections-until-apply/

where a button copies the selections into incrementing alternate state slots. When all slots are filled the chart displays.  Another "reset" button resets the alternate state index.

-Rob

chandana gowdar

Hi Rob ,

Thanks for providing the link , i tried implementing that and it has partially helped me to get closer to the requirement.

There is one catch here , before clicking on the "apply filter " button i want to pass sets of filters.

here a set means single or multiple selection of the filters . here i need to figure out how to capture or convey qlikview to consider the selections as set 1 and then create a button to say "select 2nd set of filters". then use your "apply filter" button.

currently this is the situation, if you have any ideas on how to achieve this , please suggest.

Many Thanks.

Stefan Wühl

Here is a quick sample QVW that demonstrates an approach using alternate states with a single set of list boxes.

You can set basically two sets, but the demo can be easily expanded to as many as you like.

Rob Wunderlich

Here's a modification of my example that lets you make selections and then add them to the next  filter slot.  Only filter slots that have selections will be applied to the charts.  I have  5 states. I'm rotating through them but you could design the flow any way you want, i.e. add to specific filter etc.

Edit: modified the qvw to use a slider to set the manual index. Much more fun.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

chandana gowdar

Hi Rob ,

Thanks for the solution, i have implemented the same and seems like this is what wanted.

But just facing one minor issue of displaying all the data before applying any filter in the table. i.e Default selection should be "All" and only when the filters passed the data in the table should get filtered.

i am also working on how to achieve this , meanwhile if you have any idea kindly suggest solution for the same.

Many Thanks

Chandana

Rob Wunderlich

Modify the expression (variable vFilterStates in my example) to include state $ if all the Filtern states are empty.

-Rob

chandana gowdar

Hi Rob ,

Should i add a new state Filtern ? or modify the variable vFilterStates 's definition ?

can you give me the expression for reference please.

Thanks

Stefan Wühl

Depends on your designed workflow.

You also have a variable vFilterIndex that you can use:

=

If( vFilterIndex =1, '1',

if(len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter1'))>0, 'Filter1+','')

& if(len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter2'))>0, 'Filter2+','')

& if(len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter3'))>0, 'Filter3+','')

& if(len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter4'))>0, 'Filter4+','')

& if(len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter5'))>0, 'Filter5+','')

& '0'

)

chandana gowdar

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the response , i modified the expression as given below: (found this in another question in the community):

= If( len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter1'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter2'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter3'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter4'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter5'))

=0, '$',

& '0')

this worked for me ..

Thanks

chandana gowdar

Hi Stefan ,

in the below given expression ,

= If( len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter1'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter2'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter3'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter4'))

+ len(GetCurrentSelections('','','',1,'Filter5'))

=0, '$',

& '0')

the variable set is accepting all values when no filter is passed , how can we instruct the filter set to be set to none when no filter is set and to filter only when the filters are passed ,

Kindly suggest on the same..

Thanks

Sudhakar Battula

Hi Rob ,

Excellent!!

This is what i was looking for and this serves my exact requirement .

but with just one small change. instead of the & filters in the variable i want to pass the data which will satisfy all the 5 filters applied.

which means the data which matches all the filters in 5 sets should only display in the result chart / table.

Should i change in the vFilterStates variable expression or should i modify the expression in the chart.

Kindly suggest on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Rob Wunderlich

If the data should match all the filters, isn't that the same as normal Qlik selection logic?

-Rob

Sudhakar Battula

No, it is not showing matching values. all selections related rows are appending one by one

Here, i am giving one example for my requirement from your file only:

If i select for filter 1: Baby Clothes in Category Name, Aino Shoes from Product name, 2012 from Year and

for filter2:Baby Clothes in Category Name, Deuce Shirt from Product name, 2013 from Year

then i want out like this

24222/16/2012Baby ClothesAino ShoesHalle KölnBob Park41
                                                                                                                                              24222/16/2012Baby ClothesDeuce ShirtHalle KölnBob Park11
                                                                                                                                              46651/21/2013Baby ClothesAino ShoesLa Moda d'il FuturiRicardo Gucci61
                                                                                                                                              46651/21/2013Baby ClothesDeuce ShirtLa Moda d'il FuturiRicardo Gucci12

But output is not showing like this, it is showing selections related 572 rows some thing

Here i attached your file also.. in that file i made some changes so, based on that give some suggestions

Thank you in advance

Sudhakar

chandana gowdar

Hi Rob ,

I am sorry to say that you have misunderstood the requirement.

the actual requirement is that i have 5 filters(list boxes with multiple selection enabled)

i want to select 1 or multiple selections in each list box, which will be treated as set 1 ,

for example SET 1 Filter =

Filter 1 = A and B

Filter 2 = India

Filter 3 = Earth

Filter 4 = Water

Filter 5 = 5000

so here SET 1  = (Filter 1 + Filter 2+Filter 3+Filter 4+Filter 5)

once the SET 1 is selected the data related to these filters will be displayed in the result set table.

Next step : clear ONLY  THE FILTERS AND THE RESULT SET TABLE REMAINS SAME WITH THE RESULT SET OF SET 1

Like this User should be allowed to select 5 SETS .

WHEN SELECTED SET 2 , THE RESULT SET SHOULD BE APPENDED WITH THE SET2 WITH THE ENTRIES WHICH WERE PRESENT FOR SET2.

SORRY IF I HAVE CONFUSED YOU TOO MUCH, BUT ACTUALLY THIS IS THE REQUIREMENT.

THANKS

Stefan Wühl

Rob, i think a single set (of list boxes) wouldn't allow

Cat1 and factor1

OR

Cat2 and factor2

Marco Wedel

Hello Sunny,

I tried with dynamically created previous selection set identifiers like {$1+$3+$5} but failed (I guess due to trigger effects when storing the current set state in a variable).

Maybe this might be a solution nevertheless (when done properly).

regards

Marco

Stefan Wühl

I would offer the user a button to apply a set to a specific filter (either select the filter number to apply the set to or let it auto-increment). This button could also clear the list boxes.

To use only one single set of list boxes:

Either use bookmarks to store the current set when pressing the filter, or use alternate state list boxes (the chart expression calling the sets will be mostly the same).

AFAIR, alternate states of a list box can't be set by expression.

But you can use either multiple sets of list boxes and show / hide the unused sets, or a container object or whatever you want...

Guess all these solutions should serve your requirements without wasting too much real screen estate for multiple set selection boxes.

If latter is not your concern using alternate states / bookmarks, then please clarify.

Varun Prakash Paulraj

You mean the table should appear only after selecting all the five filters?

chandana gowdar

Hi Varun,

yes the filter should appear only after the 5 filters are selected and each filter is a set of filters.

i.e Set 1 is prod ctg =  ctg 1 , char = factor 1 and char type = type 1

after selecting the above set of filters the table should be displayed.

then the filters are cleared or the selections of filters are cleared to allow the user to select the second set of filters , but the result in the table should still be available

so when user selects the second set of filters

Set 2 is prod ctg =  ctg 2 , char = factor 4 and char type = type 1

and say apply filter

The result table should have both the results of SET 1 and SET 2

---------------------------------------------------

kindly shower your thoughts on the same.

it would be helpful if you suggest anything possible on this scenario.

Thanks

Marco Wedel

Hi,

maybe another solution could be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic3.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic4.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic6.JPG

=vSelSets&If(Len(GetCurrentSelections()),If(Len(vSelSets),'+')&'1<['&GetCurrentSelections(Chr(39)&'}, [',']={''',Chr(39)&','&Chr(39))&Chr(39)&'}>')

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic5.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_294299_Pic7.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Marco Wedel

Hi,

another solution might be to apply this approach on a key field:

grouping dimension values

hope this helps

regards

Marco