32 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 4:04 AM by Adam Barrie-Smith RSS

QlikView 10 Server Issue

I'm running QV 10 Server 10.00 SR 2. And throughout the day the qvs.exe runs and takes up threads and CPU for no reason. Once I reset the QlikView server service, it goes back to normal. This allows the jobs to finish much quicker as the qvs.exe process is not running. Is there any reason why this is occuring? Right now, I have QlikView Publisher and Server on the same machine. I've seen information where this setup is not advised, but that is how the system was setup when i came to the company. Anybody have any recomendations?

Thanks,

Alex

• QlikView 10 Server Issue
          Stefan Bäckstrand

If the QVS.exe process itself is using CPU resources continuously, you have user activity on the server (users qliking around in documents) or you have high amounts of distributions from the distribution service that overloads the QVS.exe process, which will be the receiver of documents when doing server distributions. Either way, it is probably expected behavior and most likely induced by any of these factors. QVS does not use CPU resources out of the blue, at least I've never see it before. :)

Are you sure that it is not the qvb.exe (note the B) that uses the resources? This is the publisher reload engine, and it will use resources whenever a task is triggered in publisher.

• Re: QlikView 10 Server Issue

I've attached a screenshot of my issues. Right now, there are no users accessing any qv server documents. The qvb process is running, but it's sharing CPU with QVS even though it should not be running at 50% CPU. When I restart the service it clears, and acts normally. When a user access the server, the CPU spikes and then returns to normal levels. But periodically is stays at 50%. Not sure what would be causing this.

Stefan Bäckstrand

I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that you have only two CPU cores in this machine? Is it virtual?

If no users are using the server, it must be distributions creating the load on QVS. And if the QVS load concurs with publisher tasks, that is running qvbs, it's pretty obvious. Try and disable all tasks in publisher or outside triggered tasks, and see if the overload stops. 

Yes and yes. I'm a little confused by what you mean by QVS load? Isn't that the same as publisher tasks. Sorry, just a little confused. I will disable the triggers and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas.

Okay, all triggers and publisher tasks have been stopped/disabled. I am still getting a high CPU usage from the qvs.exe. Even though, to me, nothing else is running. What am I missing?

Stefan Bäckstrand

Are you running windows server 2008? If so, restart the QVS.exe, open the task manager, wait for the qvs.exe to spin up to the usage you ate seeing, then right click the process and select Create dump file.. Attach that file here.

So I can't attach it. Its 1.8 GB. Not sure why it is so huge. After I did the dump, it suspended the process and now it cleared. Its running the same threads, just with no CPU now. How what can I do to get the dmp file in a more usable format?

Stefan Bäckstrand

I figured that. The QVS.exe memory footprint represents documents and cache in QVS memory. That's why the size. Mini dumps are only possible with debugging tools, this was just a long shot if you had a small footprint.

Are you on a 32 bit environment?

How man CPU cores does the server have?

Is the server virtual?

Are you using preload on any documents?

If you restarted the QVS.exe process, as I said, and the process went up to 1.8 GB directly, you probably have preload on something.

Shelvin Patel

Hi Stefan,

One of my client has QV v10 SR3 built 10.0.9065 and they have similar issue.  Noticed quite a few time qvs.exe using very high CPU.  I have never seen that behavior in v9 SR6 which we were running earlier.  Couple of occasion Qlikview Server service stopped and restarted automatically (as from even viewer).  When that happened, services were showing started in Admin tool as well as in QEMC but couldn’t access document from Access point.  After restarting the qvs.exe, it has resolved the issue.

Some of the error event description from event log:

Error:

Restart: Server aborted trying to recover by restart. Reason for restart: Internal inconsistency, type D, detected.

Warning:

Document Load: The document E:\QLIKVIEW\LIVE\Sales.qvw failed to load for unknown reasons (e=-64) [22

Thanks, Shelvin

Frank Siciliani

I am having a similiar issue. Just now in fact the QVS.exe was consuming all 8 cores at 99%. At that point users are not able open any new documents. From what I can tell in the audit logs, there were no users in at the time and there were no reloads occuring.

Any ideas?

Here is info about our install:

QV v10 R3

Windows 2003 Server

8 cores

64 bit

16GB ram

Thanks,

Frank

Stefan Bäckstrand

QVS will not under any normal circumstances consume 100% CPU if nothing is actively happening on the server, like a reload or distribution or clients making use of documents. Do you have any other integrations, like WebParts or Workbench? API calls?

Also make sure what process is responsible for the CPU usage.

Frank Siciliani

Stefan,

I went back to the performance logs and found that just before it spiked at 99%, it jumped to 75%. There were 3 users logged in & 2 active sessions.

The next two performance records (10 minutes), the users drop off, there are no active sessions and it spikes to 99%.

Nothing else was happening. No loads or distributions. We have no WebParts, Workbench, or API calls.

When I asked the last active user if he was doing anythig out of the ordinary, he said no.

This is the second time that this has happened this month.

Where else can I look for information on what could have caused this?

Frank

Stefan Bäckstrand

It might be that users, if using stateless clients like Ajax Zfc, make selections that keep the server occupied for a prolonged period of time during the calculation phase, even if their sessions are terminated.

Otherwise, it's just to monitor the session logs, event logs (set verbosity to high/debug) and see what is going on in the server.

As I said before, the server doesn't do large calculations on its own. If you have more issues, I would suggest to register a support case via www.qlik.com.

Niklas Hedlund

I have a very similar problem. Occasionaly when a user tries to access an app at the access point the memory of QVS.exe goes up to 7 GB and cpu is 100% (normally memory consumtion is about 1 GB and no problem to start application) and the user can never access the application. The whole server crashes and has to be restarted. Shared-files on the access point have to be deleted in order to make the server work again. This started happening when upgrading from QV 9 to QV 10 on the server. Stefan there is a case filed with support on this, 00074044. Recently we have thought the problem might have to do with session recovery functionality and have checked "Prohibit session recovery" in the QEMC. This has kept the server stable for a couple of days now but we are still evaluating it. Anyone has any more info on what causes this problem?

Jerry Somsen

Niklas.hedlund,  Thanks for the advice on deleting the .shared file.  We have been working with one analytic that would not open and never even thought to delete the .shared file.  Now does anyone know how to recover a corrupt .share file?

Our symptoms were very much like yours.  When a users would try and access this document, the memory would gradually grow to the limits of the Server and make the entire system unstable.   The users would get a white screen in the plugin and the application would never load.  A restart of all the services was the only way to fix it.  

Since upgrading to QV 10 SR3, we are restarting the server more frequently.   We just cant seem to determine why!

Thanks,

JS 

Stefan Bäckstrand

Niklas.hedlund & jsomsen: Look at the SharedFileViewer tool in the Power Tools suite that you can find here at the community. Open the file in that tool and look for "red" items (see the bottom right option "Color on top" for sorting). Anything marked erroneous there?

PS. Take a backup/copy of the .shared file and operated on that instead, to not conflict with QVS. DS.

Jerry Somsen

Stefan,

I opened up the corrupted .shared file with the PowerTool and I get nothing marked as erroneous.   Will the Defrag tool help at all?

Thanks,

JS

Stefan Bäckstrand

You never know. If you have a lot or turnaround of creating/deleting objects, it might have grown. You can certainly try it and see if it helps.

Stefan Bäckstrand

Serviceability & Labs Manager, Global Support

Email: Support@qlik.com<mailto:Support@qlik.com>

qlik.com<http://www.qlik.com/>

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Jerry Somsen

Stefan,

I tried to Defrag the .shared file and open the document with this file.  I get the same response.   The QV Server keeps increasing the Physical Memory Usage until it finally makes the Server unusable.  Also, I cant close the plugin on my machine.   I have to go in and end task, but it will only end after I restart the services on the QV server.  

Luckily, this shared file is not very large and I can get by with deleting it.  If this would happen to some of our larger analytics, I would definately have upset users.

Thanks,

JS

Niklas Hedlund

QT support have looked at the shared-files but found nothing strange about them. Bookmarks and server objects are used very little. Still a mystery exactly when this happens but Prohibit Session Recovery seems to be a work around for the moment.

Kevin Kelly

Have you guys tried SR4?  I obtained a patch for SR3 that seemed to fix our "memory" issue on QVS and apparently the patch is included in SR4.

Kevin

Niklas Hedlund

Yes, we're currently using SR 4 and have experienced the same behaviour also with SR 2, SR 3 and SR 1. We're using Ajax client with QlikView's out-of-the-box webserver. Windows 2008.

Jerry Somsen

We upgraded to SR4 and are still having the same problem with one of our analytics and the .shared file.   If we open the analytic with the PlugIn, we get a white screen saying that it is Opening the analytic, but it never opens.   Then if we check on the QV server, our memory grows until it uses up the entire 48 GB and then makes the Accesspoint unusable forcing us to restart the server.   If I delete the .shared file, everything opens up fine but I have some upset users.

I have also checked the "Prohibit Session Recovery" checkbox and that doesn't appear to help either.

Going to send this to support.  Will let you know if I find anything else out.

JS