Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Geospatial Map Extension for Custom Regions

Hi everyone,

So after releasing the US and Countries Google Map extensions a few days ago, the most common response from people is that it would be great if they could have a map like that for their own country, or for postal codes, or for provinces, or for sales regions, etc. etc.

So I made some modifications and created an extension that allows you to define your own custom regions.  Here's an (ugly) example:

customMap.png

Rather than posting all of the implementation instructions on here, I created a quick guide on how to get it up and running.

So, while it might be time consuming or require some steps in finding or converting data, you should be able to map whatever regions you want.

Hope this is helpful.  I'm working on some non-Google mapping extensions so look for those soon if these extensions are helpful to you.

23 Replies
louwriet
Creator
Creator

Hi Brain,

I went through your helpful post and what I see here is exactly what I need. I need to create custom regions. for Africa.

I have downloaded your extensions for USA and world maps and also for the customMap. The USA extension works fine when I select properties but when I try to get to the properties of the world map or the custommap object I get this error. " an error has occured in the script on this page " " unable to get the value of property 0: object is null or undifined"  . See attached screenshot.

I have win 7 on my laptop and Qlikview 10.00.9061.7 SR 3 64 bit and has Internet Explorer 9 installed.

Am I missing something somewhere?

Thank you

Louw

Not applicable

Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for sharing theese extensions!

I wonder, would it be possible to create an extension using google maps that doesn't need to run in webview?

Not applicable

Hi,

We at Idevio can offer an alternative map solution that doesn't run in webview.

Please contact us directly for more information.

Best regards,

Lisa

www.idevio.com

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

FYI, I've just posted an extension which uses OpenLayers and OpenStreetMap (both of which are free) to do this kindof mapping:

http://community.qlik.com/message/181821#181821

It loads in KML files, allowing for custom (or any other kind of) regions.

Not applicable

I'm just curious, is there a way to plot a scatter chart over the heat index?

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

It wouldn't be difficult to do, but this particular extension isn't built to provide it since you're sort of combining two features.  Maybe in a future version I can set it up to plot points like, but I would most likely do it with the OpenLayers extension I mentioned above (since it's free).

Not applicable

Brian,

Thank you for this post.  Would you mind attaching your QVW?  I am not getting the regions to work, and would like to compare mine to yours.

Anonymous
Not applicable

GeoQlik extension trial version: download now!

Download our new GeoQlik extension trial version: http://demo.geoqlik.com

GeoQlik trial version is also available on the QlikMarket for QlikView partners: http://market.qlik.com/geoqlik.html

New GeoQlik demonstrations

You should also have a look at our new GeoQlik demos: http://qonnections.geoqlik.com .

Capture_2.JPG

Capture_1.JPG

Capture_3.JPG

The GeoQlik team

www.geoqlik.com

contact@geoqlik.com

Not applicable

Hi Brian Munz , i have downloaded your extensions for USA and world maps and also for the customMap. But , unfortunly i'm having the same problem  than  Louwrie T :

" The USA extension works fine when I select properties but when I try to get to the properties of the world map or the custommap object I get this error. " an error has occured in the script on this page " " unable to get the value of property 0: object is null or undifined"  . "

How can i fix that? please help