37 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2017 1:50 PM by Michael Freitas RSS

QV Server 11.2 Reload Engine is down

Hi!

I've got a problem with a new server installation, version 11.2. When I try to schedule a reload task I get a message at the top saying "ReloadEngine@Server is down"? I read somewhere here that Qlikview sometimes has problems with long servernamnes and I've tried changing the path to localhost instead without luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: QV Server 11.2 Reload Engine is down
          Bill Britt

What does the logs should the problem to be? Is the service account a member of the local Administrator group?

Bill

Yes the service account is a local admin. Which log file should I check?

Steve Dark

Hi Robin,

Did you find a solution to this - I have just hit the same issue here.

Steve

Michael Terenzi

Hi guys,

It would be helpful if you provided QDS, QMS, and QVS logging information surrounding the incident. Another useful tip would be to click on the reload engine name in the QMC under the Status>Services section and see if there is any explanation there.

If the problem is stemming from the QMC only and the service is actually functioning prorperly and reloads are still running (e.g. your services are just not communicating), check your browser to make sure you are not running through a proxy and ensure all necessary QlikView ports are open and available.

- Michael

Steve Dark

Hi Michael,

Thanks for picking up this thread.  ReloadEngine@servername is not showing under Status \ Services, all other services (DSC, QMS, QVS, QVWS) are all showing as running fine.

The tasks are not running in the background.  All files are dated prior to the upgrades and all tasks are showing as Status: Waiting and Last Execution: Never.

Not sure where the best place to pick up logging information for this is.  The service is not running under Services.  The error message when attempting to start the service there is:

'Windows could not start the QlikView Distribution Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.'

Windows error log for the event simply says: 'The QlikView Distribution Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 20 time(s).' and gives Event ID 7034.

The Application Log in Windows turns up this text on the Error:

Startup failure. Read the log file and/or event log for determinating the cause of this problem. Note! The service must have sufficient permissions in Publisher Application Data Folder: "C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService". Exception=System.InvalidOperationException: Category does not exist.

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String machine, String category, String counter)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, Boolean readOnly)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName)

at QDSMain.Diagnostics.QDSDiagnostic.get_Instance()

at QDSMain.MainClass.CheckAndInitializeEnviroment(ILogBucket logBucket, ClusterRegistration clusterReg)

at QDSMain.MainClass.Run()

The service account is a domain administrator account and a local administrator account.  I have now granted explicit full rights on the Distribution Service folder also.

I've tried loadctr /r as per http://community.qlik.com/message/204650

and granting rights to Component Services as per http://community.qlik.com/thread/22395

Happy to share full system info and screen shots if you contact me directly.

Thanks in advance

Steve

HI Steve,

Yes I did find the solution to the problem. My mistake, embarrassingly enought, was that I hadn't installed the Distribution Service. I deselected it in the installation process because I was making an installation that was going to run without the QlikVIew Publisher. No I know better.

Hope that helps!

Bill Britt

Hi,

One of the other things that can case the Distribution Service not to start is the Service Account doesn't have the "Log on as a batch Job" rights in local Security Policy. See the screen shot be low. This is a very common Goup Policy setting that blocks adding user to the policy.

Untitled.png

Steve Dark

Hi Bill - the system account was already explicitly listed under Log In As A Service, and would have had rights to Log On As A Batch Job by virtue of being in the Adminstrators group.

I have granted the user Log On As A Batch Job rights explicitly also, and retried.  Still no joy, I'm afraid.

- Steve

Michael Terenzi

Hi Steve,

If you rename the DistributionService folder and repair your installation, are you able to restart then?

If still no luck, I'd stop all services and rename the ProgramData\QlikTech folder, then run a repair on the installation and restart the services. If you still can't start the QDS service, switch the account to run under System and retry. After that you should open a ticket with Support if no success.

Cheers,

Michael

Bill Britt

Hi Steve,

I can assure you that you are incorrect here. I work for QlikTech and I cannot
                                run the Distribution service on my local machine with a user that is in the
                                administrator group (administrator group has the rights). The QV domain polices will
                                not allow me to add users. My network accounts has right, but I have to be
                                attached to the domain (VPN) for that account to start the service.

Bill

Steve Dark

Hi BIll.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow.  The server has always been attached the the domain and the domain account I am using has always been able to start all services - it can now start all bar one.

The account in question is now attached by name (rather than by being in a group) to all permissions that seem to be relevant.

Steve

Joachim Rogginer
                                        I have the same issue and already tried everything suggested here, but to no avail. In the eventlog I've found this error:
                                        Exception=System.Exception: Can't register; Mixed versions in a cluster is not allowed! Wait 60 seconds if a recent upgrade has been performed. at QDSMain.Clustering.ClusterRegistration.Register(String i_Identifier, Version i_Version) at QDSMain.MainClass.Run()
                                        The total deinstallation of QV 10 and installation of QV 11.2. SR 1 has taken place yesterday. I tried repair and reinstallation today again - didn't help. No cluster whatsoever involved, never had a cluster and won't have one.
                                        When surveying the start of the service with procmon I noted that obviously a config_SERVER.xml file is trying to be located in the folder C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService - but there is no config file.
                                        If noone has a clue to the problem, I think I'm going to give it to the support.
                                        Rgds,
                                        Joachim
                                            Steve Dark

Hi Joachim,

I already have a support ticket open on this issue, and will post back any details of any progress we make.  Presently proxies and firewalls are being looked into - but we haven't found a solution yet.

It may well be worth raising your own support issue - as it is not necessarily the same thing.

- Steve

Joachim Rogginer

Hi Steve,

thx for your feedback. Any details of the support ticket are very much appreciated, though in the meantime I tried still another thing before opening a support ticket:

- I renamed the folder C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService to C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService_

- I started the QlikViewDistributionService

- The folder C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService was created by the service, and the service really was running

The strange thing: The reload tasks I had set up before were still there. Actually I had expected them to be lost when renaming the old DistributionService-Folder and having the service create a new one.

Nevertheless, it seems to work now. If I have any news, I'll post it here.

Rgds,

Joachim

Steve Dark

Hi Joachim,

Glad that your system is now working.  Unfortunately removing the QlikTech folder and having it recreated from scratch was something I tried quite early on in the process with no joy.  I will certainly post back with any further information I find for future readers.

Steve

Steve Dark

A bit of further information on my issue, but still no resolution - as yet.

It would appear from looking at various articles that lodctr /R run as administrator will fix this in most cases.

Interestingly we get this message when opening PerfMon on that server:

PerfMonError.png

So something is fundamentally up with Performance Counters on the server.  However, when running PerfMon on a similar server running QV10 SR4 we get the same error - yet the Distribution Service works fine there.

It seems to me therefore that QV11 is logging something extra via the .Net performance counters that QV10 is not.  The path I am following now is to try and suppress the logging in QV11.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

- Steve

Hi

I have the same issue but installed on win 7, ran the tasks normally for about a week and then stopped.

They appear as never been done before, any suggestion?

Cheers

Juan Lopez

Hi ppl,

We were having this problem. All of the services were up (the windows services) and all of the QV services seemed up too. Nevertheless, QVM reported that ReloadENgine was down, and it sure was, the programmed reloads were not running.

The thing about this installation was that for some reason, the services were not booting up when the name and the URL found under System > Management Services, were set to the name of the server, when we tried setting those to localhost they were running. Unfortunately, we had forgotten to change all of the names and this seemed to interfere with the functioning (remember to have the control number at hand in case the QMC asks for it).

the second part of the solution consists of running the commands in How to manually rebuild Performance Counters for Windows Server 2008 64bit or Windows Server 2008 R2 systems as stated by a previous poster.

at this moment, I don't know exactly which of the two actions fixed the problem but, hey, its working now, so I wanted to let you know what worked for me,

c ya around

Michael Freitas

Hello friends,

In my case I solved as follows:

QlikView Management Console > System > Setup

Management Service..QlikView Servers..QVS@server_name

General..url(place qvp://localhost/ instead qvp://server_name/)

In input called "Control" inform control number of your license and apply.

The server prompts you to restart services, permits.

Now restart the services again or manually or by a bat.

Worked well with me, do not know if will work with you.

I found this tip on this link:
                                              http://community.qlik.com/thread/60025

Good luck!

Jason Michaelides

All,

I have just had the same issue and tried all the above solutions to no avail.

For me the following finally worked:

1. Uninstall QV11.2 Server using installer
                                                2. Reboot
                                                3. Rename/Delete C:\ProgramData\QlikTech
                                                4. Reinstall

Took me all damn day to get to this!  Hope it helps someone else.

Jason

FRANCISCO ROGERIO ALMEIDA DOS SANTOS

Good evening everyone,

I did the installation of the SR version: 09 and happened the same situation.

I did the tests mentioned by all of the above and can not solve the problem.

The solution was to install the SR version: 10 so the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Rogério Almeida

hamide ghadimabadi

hi

please stop and then qlikview services

i have this problem too, when start  qlikview distribution services , the issue solved

regards

hamide

Michael Freitas

Ways I've used to solve:

Alternative 1:

I suggest stopping(It's not restart, it's stop!) each of the services in order:

"QlikView Directory Service Connector"

"QlikView Distribution Service"

"Qlikview Management Service"

"QlikView WebServer"

"QlikViewServer"

After doing this start in the same order.

If the problem persists, try Alternative 2.

Alternative 2

See which services are stopped in QMC> Status> Services

Change the configuration in each location, according to the service that is stopped, to:

-> QVS:

QlikView Management Console> System> Setup

Management Service..QlikView Servers .. Where there is url input with the server name replaced with localhost, example qvp: // localhost / instead of qvp: // server_name /)

-> DSC:

Management Service..Directory Service Connectors

-> QWS:

Management Service..QlikView Web Servers

In the input control, enter the control number of your license and apply.

The server will ask you to restart the services, allow.

To increase chances of success, repeat Alternative 1.

Good luck!