5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 11:47 AM by Tim Saddler RSS

PDF Reduction

Tim Saddler

Hello

every month i have to produce 500 approx sales reports by Business Unit and product.

These are emailed out usually successfully , but pdf file sizes over 150k can fail .

for instance this month , i produced 59 reports successfully before a site with a 26page 150k pdf failed.

does anyone else have a successfull example of mutiple reduced pdf's over 150k?

The error message is :-

04/11/2013 11:35:40.7875995 Error The task "Reduction to PDF and EMAIL BAS Production Margin\AI - ICS Reporting v2.qvw" failed. Exception:

QDSMain.Exceptions.DistributionFailedException: Distribute failed with errors to follow. ---> QDSMain.Exceptions.LogBucketErrorException: Failed to generate QVW File package.. Exception=QDSMain.Exceptions.NoDocumentPackageFoundException: No Document Package found.

at QDSMain.DistributeHelper.GetDocumentPackage(ILogBucket logBucket, IDictionary`2 duplicateList, Document document, eDocumentType documentType, String url, Boolean showToolBar, String reportID, Int32 maxRetries, Int32 currentRetry)

I suspect this is caused by the qvw not closing properly on a larger data set before it tries to re-open ?

I can produce a file if i make the report "physically" smaller - ie in this case i reduced the font size.

However he downside is that the file text is very small.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Any advice gratefully received.

• Re: PDF Reduction
          Bill Britt

Hi,

You can try increasing  the PDF Printer timeout, do the following

• Locate the file settings.ini found in

Windows 2008 - C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch
                     Windows 2003 - C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch

• Add the setting PDFPrintTimeoutInSeconds in the [Settings 7] section

[Settings 7]
          PDFPrintTimeoutInSeconds= 120

• Save settings.ini and restart QlikView Distribution Service

You might have to adjust this value to fine the correct value for you.

Bill

philipp kunz

Hi TIm,

it seems that i have the same issue on my Server. My PDF Reoprt tasks sporadically fail without any visible reason.

Could you fix your Problem?

Tim Saddler

Hello

I found that reducing the pdf file size seems to help.

I changed the font size of the Report from 7 to 5 and this reduced the number of pages from say 20 to 10.

This resulted in less failures, though i still have sporadic ones.

My personal view is that each time a pdf is created , the qvw is opened and closed.

When it fails with large pdf's i think it is something to do with the qvw not closing before opening the next one.

Hope this helps

philipp kunz

Hi Tim,

thanks for your Suggestion. It is worth a try, since it does not fix the Problem on its basis.

Tim Saddler

Hello

I found that reducing the pdf file size seems to help.

I changed the font size of the Report from 7 to 5 and this reduced the number of pages from say 20 to 10.

This resulted in less failures, though i still have sporadic ones.

My personal view is that each time a pdf is created , the qvw is opened and closed.

When it fails with large pdf's i think it is something to do with the qvw not closing before opening the next one.

Hope this helps

Another thing to try is to run pdf creaton over a "reduced" data set as the smaller the source qvw is the better the pdf generator seems to work - i've generated nearly 2000 pdf's today - one app generated 1384 pdfs