Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jens_Argentzell
Employee
Employee

Quick tips #8 - Server settings for best performance

This page describes the settings for best performance for servers running the Qlik Associative Engine.
Latest update: May 2022

Windows 2022 has improved performance for servers with many physical cores. This table shows the definition used in the below document.

Older Windows versions

Windows 2022

Server with normal core count

≤64 physical cores

≤90 physical cores

Server with large core count

>64 physical cores

>90 physical cores

BIOS settings

SettingValue
Hyper-threading

Applies to QlikView and Qlik Sense servers:

• Server with normal core count: Enabled
  • Server with large core count: Disabled

There are use cases that even on servers with huge #cores enabling hyper-threading is beneficial. Therefore, it is best to test these settings for your application.

Power Management (System Profile Settings)

Applies to QlikView and Qlik Sense servers:

• Custom with Max performance and C states enabled

Another setting that can be used is the full performance setting. But this settings makes the server run constantly at the maximum clock speed for all cores, which has the following drawbacks:

• The server uses more power.
  • The CPUs do not use clock speeds higher than the speed of the all-core boost clock, which usually is lower than the maximum boost clock speed of the CPUs.

A solution to this is to use a custom system profile in the server BIOS that allows the CPUs to use their C states while all other components are set to full performance. The custom system profile should be set up similar to the following:

• CPU power management: Max performance
  • Turbo boost: Enabled
  • Energy efficient turbo: Disabled
  • C states: Autonomous (if available, otherwise Enabled)
  • C1E state: Enabled
  • Uncore frequency: Max
  • Memory frequency: Max
  • Energy efficiency policy: Performance
  • Determinism slider: Power determinism
NUMA

QlikView servers (Intel):

• Disabled*

Qlik Sense servers (Intel):

• Server with normal core count: Disabled*
  • Server with large core count: Enabled

*On servers with Intel CPUs, NUMA is disabled by enabling Node Interleaving.

QlikView  and Qlik Sense servers (AMD EPYC):

• NUMA mode should be set to Automatic and 1 node per socket. (L3 Cache NUMA Nodes disabled.)
Memory configuration

QlikView and Qlik Sense servers:

• Configured for best performance (the DIMM slots for every CPU should be populated in accordance to the server manufacturer's specification for best performance)
Hardware/Software Prefetcher

• Enabled

The names of the settings and how to tune them may differ depending on the server manufacturer and model. Refer to the documentation for your server to find the equivalents of the settings listed above.

Operating system settings

Microsoft Windows

SettingValue
Power plan

• High Performance
Registry update

Qlik Sense servers only:

For servers with a large core count, there is a registry change, applicable to both Intel and AMD CPUs, that improves the responsiveness when the Qlik Sense Repository Service (QRS) is under heavy load (for example, when many users open the hub at the same time).

Two registry updates are needed:

Add the Thread_NormalizeSpinWait key as a DWORD value to the following subkey: HKEY\LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework

• Value name: Thread_NormalizeSpinWait
  • Value data: 1

Add the Switch.System.Threading.UseNetCoreTimer key as a String value to the following subkey: HKEY\LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AppContext

• Value name: Switch.System.Threading.UseNetCoreTimer
  • Value data: true

The fix is described in full here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/4527212/long-spin-wait-loops-in-net-framework-on-intel-skyl...

/ Cheers from the Scalability Center team

Labels (1)
31 Replies
parkera
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

All,

We are not finding that hyper-threading should be switched either on or off but needs to be tested on a case by case basis. (we appreciate that this may not be entirely logical - but is evidenced by consequential performance)

If off is the advice perhaps there is a second setting that drives hyper-threading behaviour that affects CPU utilisation and performance that we are not aware of?

Kind regards,

Adrian

Adrian Parker

Differentia Consulting | Solutions | Resourcing | Support ™

...making the difference

Envision | Execute | Evolve

QlikView Elite Solution Provider

Oracle and IBM partner of the year

m: +44 7813 600 186

s : parkera

o : +44 8702 243 040

f : +44 8702 243 041

i : differentia.co

Differentia Consulting Ltd., is a UK based independent ERP centric; management consulting, IT solutions, resourcing and support provider.

Differentia Consulting Ltd is registered in England and Wales company number 4478146

with a registered address of The Old Byre, Sevington, Grittleton, Chippenham, SN14 7LD

Not applicable

found this document http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/performance/performance-xeon-e7-qliktech-delivering-advanced-...

which leads me to think that hyperthreading should be enabled on intel E7-series processors.  Have some clients with this processors and have enabled it, but cant really tell if it makes any difference pro or con.

will keep testing...

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Certainly a much valued information from the Scalability Center and the product itself. Large enterprise deployments are based on these settings to make the difference from a just acceptable performance to a goo to optimal performance.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

I think at least Hyper-threading=Disabled needs some explanations. I mean is this related to NUMA or AMD? I guess Hyper-threading should be enabled on Intel servers..

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable

Ralf, from what I know HT should be off for the QVS service. Last time I heard from on of us, HT should be on for the QDS ...

I advice Intel CPU.

http://frankdenneman.nl/2010/12/node-interleaving-enable-or-disable/

Not applicable

I did some load testing with Hyperthreading settings and the results were very interesting.

I scheduled 40 concurrent QVW reloads in the QDS (the QVW's generated data, wrote QVDs, read QVDs, and then logged stats).

The test hardware was a HP DL580 G7 with 4 X Intel Xeon Processor E7-4870 (4 CPU X 10 cores) and 256GB RAM.  By disabling hyperthreading, the average document refresh time went from 02:53 to 01:50.

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

HT is one of configurations that you need to change. If you make all config, this statistics will be decreased more.

Look at antivirus to disable scan in the Qlikview files and directories too and try it again.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Not applicable

We have on access scanning disabled on the QV servers (only scheduled scans run periodically).

Cheers,

Graeme

Not applicable

Hi Graeme,

Did you only disabled HT? or together with NUMA = DISABLED?