Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP

QlikView App: Current Selections Dynamic Display

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QlikView App: Current Selections Dynamic Display

Last Update:

May 29, 2013 5:18:13 PM

Updated By:

stevedark

Created date:

May 29, 2013 5:18:13 PM

Attachments

This example shows an alternative way of showing current selections in your applications.

It is useful to see a complete list of all selections on every screen, but this can take a lot of space - leaving less room for analysis.

This shared QlikView uses a text box that sits neatly at the top of the page and shows what selections are currently in play.  A large current selections box can then be shown or hidden dynamically by clicking the text box.  This allows selections to be modified and removed in the standard way.

Using text boxes in itself can be a good way of conveying a lot of information in a small space.  Attaching actions to items other than Buttons is a good way to a cleaner 'flat' UI.  Combining the two things can work really well - as I hope this example shows.

Please see the other example apps I have uploaded also: Steve Dark

Regards,

Steve Dark

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/

Comments
Not applicable

Hi Steve,

I have come to know about dynamic current selection and i m using it but unable to apply expand functionality on clicking it. please help.

Regards,

Piyush

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Piyush,

You should simply be able to copy the objects out of the shared QlikView and paste them into your own document.  Note that there is a Text Box and a Current Selections box that both need to be taken across.  If you press Ctrl+Shift S you will see all objects on the screen regardless of Show Condition - this may make it easier to copy (it's Ctrl+Shift S again to hide the hidden objects again).

If you need further help could you upload an example of where you are at for me to look at?

Steve

Not applicable

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the solution. now i am able to do that.

Piyush

Not applicable

Hi Steve -

Thanks for this great example.  A question - I can see where the vShowCS variable is defined in the load script in your demo app, but where do we actually maintain the syntax for vCurrentSelections?  I can view it in the Variable Overview screen, but don't see it in the load script and am not sure how to enter the syntax.

Thanks,

Amy Miller

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Amy,

The variable is simply entered in through the Variable Overview.  You need to be careful when adding new variables, as you need to add it (using the button on the right) then click the variable name and then enter the value.  If you don't click the variable name on the list after creating the variable QlikView will accept the code you write but will not attach it to the variable.  This is simply a bug in QlikView.

It is good practice to create all variables in the load script, but I didn't for this example.  If creating something like vCurrentSelections you need to ensure you use SET rather than LET - as there are quotations in the variable code.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Not applicable

Thanks so much for the quick response, Steve!  I think it was the clicking the variable after the fact, and that there wasn't an obvious OK just for editing the variable.  Looks like I'm all set now - thanks again.

--Amy

Not applicable

Hi Steve,

We are using this approach on our dashboard. Our dashboard has data coming from multiple sources.

When we used this for 1st source which is in alternate state-it works fine.

When applied for second source (altogether different  state)we are facing an issue like : for product and age group we are getting two entries in the current selection box?

can you tell the reason for this?

--khushboo

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Khushboo,

I've not used this approach over Alternate States, but I see no reason why it would not work.

Have you copied and pasted the code from this example, or are you doing something slightly different?

The behaviour you are seeing is probably because the string to show is being derived in a variable, which is outside of alternate states.  If you copy and paste the code in the variable directly into the text box, replacing the variable, and put each box in the right state then it may work for you.

If you can give any further detail I will be happy to try and assist further.

Steve

tvanlaun
Contributor II
Contributor II

Love this - Thanks Steve

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Thanks Tim, pleased you like it. Steve.

Version history
Last update:
‎2013-05-29 05:18 PM