Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bank holidays for multiple countries

Hello everyone and sorry beforehand for my possible spelling mistakes as english is not my main language. I have a problem, I've searched for information to fix it in the community posts and I can't fin a suitable solution for it so here I am explaining it with the hope of someone providing one.

Let's imagine that my data consists on a table like this:

CUSTOMER_DATA
IDCustomer
CustomerCountry

StartDate

EndDate

and I wish to add a new field, obtained in the following way:

ServiceTime = NetWorkDays(StartDate, EndDate)

In this new field I wish to obtain the bussiness days the service has been active BUT taking into account the holidays for each IDCustomer and each country. I mean, for every IDCustomer there will exist a different number of holidays between their StartDate and their EndDate. If I have and Excel file with all the bank holidays for each country, wich I can load into my script, like:

COUNTRY_IDBANK_HOLIDAY_DATE
Poland12/03/2016
Poland13/03/2016

How I could substract the holidays for every 'ServiceTime' for each 'IDCustomer'? Imagine I have a large number of data.

Thank you in advance.

D.

14 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The values in the list are probably not recognized as dates. Make sure the format of the value is the correct date format.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

That's what I thought on first instance but I've tried to format the data in many ways (in the qlikview script) with no success. The dates I use are unformated on the excel file ('General' format)  I tried to format each day with date() and with date#() and still don't get the dates correct. Do you know which code must I use?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, I don't. The date format is defined in your document which I can't read. Perhaps you can use numbers instead: CONCAT( Num(BANK_HOLIDAY_DATE),',') AS HOLIDAY_LIST 

Not applicable
Author

Ah it's true sorry and thanks. My date format is DD/MM/YYY. However, are you sure that networkdays works fine with fields? I've tried the following script just to test:

SET ThousandSep='.';

SET DecimalSep=',';

SET MoneyThousandSep='.';

SET MoneyDecimalSep=',';

SET MoneyFormat='#.##0,00 €;-#.##0,00 €';

SET TimeFormat='h:mm:ss';

SET DateFormat='DD/MM/YYYY';

SET TimestampFormat='DD/MM/YYYY h:mm:ss[.fff]';

SET MonthNames='ene;feb;mar;abr;may;jun;jul;ago;sep;oct;nov;dic';

SET DayNames='lun;mar;mié;jue;vie;sáb;dom';

HOLIDAYS:

LOAD * INLINE [START_DATE, END_DATE, HOLIDAY_DAYS

'1/2/2016', '13/2/2016', '10/2/2016',

'1/2/2016', '13/2/2016', '11/2/2016',

'1/2/2016', '13/2/2016', '9/2/2016'];

LEFT JOIN(HOLIDAYS)

LOAD CONCAT(chr(39) & HOLIDAY_DAYS & chr(39), ',') AS HOLIDAYS

RESIDENT HOLIDAYS;

LEFT JOIN(HOLIDAYS)

LOAD DISTINCT NETWORKDAYS(START_DATE, END_DATE, HOLIDAYS) AS WITH_HOL,

NETWORKDAYS(START_DATE, END_DATE) AS NO_HOL

RESIDENT HOLIDAYS;

Suprisingly, the holidays are not working properly. If I use the field HOLIDAY_DAYS, it only substracts the first day. So, maybe comes as 'NetworkDays' fuction is bad defined or not accept this kind of fields?

Edit: If I copy exactly what's on the field HOLIDAYS once reloaded: '10/2/2016','11/2/2016','9/2/2016' in the holidays space for the function 'NetWorkdays' it works so maybe the function is not able to read fields?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The function can read fields. But I don't know how to make it understand the contents of one field as a list of parameters instead of one parameter. As a workaround you can try this:

HOLIDAYS: 

LOAD *,   NETWORKDAYS(START_DATE, END_DATE) - NETWORKDAYS(START_DATE, END_DATE, HOLIDAY_DAYS) AS NO_OF_HOLIDAYS_IN_INTERVAL INLINE [START_DATE, END_DATE, HOLIDAY_DAYS 

'1/2/2016', '13/2/2016', '10/2/2016', 

'1/2/2016', '13/2/2016', '11/2/2016', 

'1/2/2016', '13/2/2016', '9/2/2016']; 

NETWORKDAYS:

LOAD DISTINCT

START_DATE,

END_DATE,

SUM(NO_OF_HOLIDAYS_IN_INTERVAL) AS SUM_OFNO_OF_HOLIDAYS_IN_INTERVAL,

NETWORKDAYS(START_DATE, END_DATE) - SUM(NO_OF_HOLIDAYS_IN_INTERVAL) AS WITH_HOL

RESIDENT

HOLIDAYS

GROUP BY

START_DATE, END_DATE

;