cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramesh1234
Contributor
Contributor

joins and keep

Differnce between joins and keep ( I am Qlikview  learner)

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Lots of threads might be available already here about what you want to know. Therefore, it's better to search before you create a kind-of duplicate threads. Here are few you might want to go through :

Re: Join vs Keep

Understanding Join, Keep and Concatenate

devarasu07
Master II
Master II

Hi,

let say you have tableA, & B then if u use join this join and return into one final output table whereas keep implement join logic on two tables and maintains two tables separately.

for more check this thread

Understanding Join, Keep and Concatenate

Difference between keep and joins with example | Qlik Community

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Welcome to Qlik world !!!

I would suggest do some work by hand to understand better clear rather functional. And, Start using Google / Bing as it is free. we can use that then come back to the community..

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
sangland2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I'm not new to QV but there has been a change to joins between QV10 and QV12 that I'd also like to understand, and might also help rakesh.

In QV10 the following script returns a single table of calendar years:

Calendars:

Load

name as CalendarName,

oid as myCalendar ;

SQL SELECT name,oid FROM Calendar ;

left join

Load myCalendar,

description as CalendarYear;

SQL SELECT  myCalendar,description FROM CalendarYear;

snip1.JPG

In QV12 the same query returns just one row:

snip2.JPG

To get the same result in QV12 as QV10 I have to separate the two tables explicitly:

Calendars:

Load

name as CalendarName,

oid as myCalendar ;

SQL SELECT name,oid FROM Calendar ;

CalendarYear:

Load myCalendar,

description as CalendarYear;

SQL SELECT  myCalendar,description FROM CalendarYear;

Using "left keep join" does still results in a single table but only one value as the Calendar Name ??

snip3.JPG

Using right keep is also works in QV12, but changing all my left joins to right keep joins to upgrade to QV12 doesn't make any sense ?

Do the QV12 release notes cover this difference?

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Oh is it? I never used QV10 in my history. So, I don't know..!

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful