Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document CALs are not applicable

Hi there  I have an issue with documents CALs. Actually we have 25 named user CALs assigned, and 15 Document CALs 1 assigned  In the QMC User Documents Tab , one document shows the following red message under the Document CALs Tab, Document CALs are not applicable. Reaso: Multiple non-trivial logical islands. Document does not comply with Document CAL licensing restrictions, please see documentation. What documentation is refering ?  I had been searching in the document but everything looks fine. I am not using section access.  Would you please give me a hand to fix it?  Thanks in advance.  Karim

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Refer to the Server Reference Manaul page 173:

Document restrictions

The purpose of the Document CAL is to provide a mechanism by which licensees can license the use of a single do­cu­ment. To prevent the combination of many data models into a single document, there are restrictions in the docu­ments which can be used with the Document CAL. The Named CAL, the Session CAL and the Usage CAL can however be used to open any functional QlikView document.

Most common data models used in QlikView documents can be used for Document CALs. For instance, proper star schemas and snow­flake schemas typically have the field with the highest cardinality in the fact table and the keys in dimensional tables have a lower cardinality. For snowflake schemas, the cardinality decreases further as you move away from the fact table. Documents containing such models typically fulfill the above demands and are well suited for Document CALs.

But documents with multiple logical islands are normally not allowed. Multiple logical islands are only allowed if the additional tables are unconnected and contain only few records or one single column.

Further, the document may not contain any loosely coupled tables.

Finally, the cardinality (number of distinct values) of the key fields must decrease as you move away from the fact table.

Basically “Multiple trivial logical islands” means that you have on or a group of tables that are unconnected with the main data model. QlikView does not allow this. Unless it is unconnected “help tables” with less than 500 records, or with a single column.

Not applicable
Author

May I use "Document CAL" together with a QV application which have a binary load?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Arthur,

is it sure that the restriction says 500 rows or only one column? 500 seems incredible little, that would be insane if it is true... 😞

Thanks

Martin

dde
Employee
Employee

I suggest going to:

http://www.qlik.com/us/info/software-ula

and click "License Metrics and User Definitions (PDF)".  Read the section titled "Document CAL Restrictions".

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the link, but exactly this document is the reason why I ask:

<>

Documents with multiple logical islands are normally not allowed. Multiple logical islands are only

allowed, if the additional tables are unconnected and contain only few records or a single column.

</>

"Normally not" and "few records" are far too wish-wash as definitions, don't you think?