Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Is there any way to borrow a license automatically from server?

Hi guys, I've a bat file which opens a Qlikview document and does some stuff.

It usually works fine, but every 30 days, I have to open "manually" a document from the server to borrow another license and get another 30 licensing days.

If I forget to do that, the document gets stuck because of I don't have a license to open it.

Is there any way to borrow a license automatically once in a while to forget about this headacke?

Many thanks in advance!!

Cheers!

9 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Marcel,

There are a couple. First is that you assign manually a license to the user that is running the BAT file, so it does not depend on leasing.

But make sure that that account is in the domain and when the BAT file is run it works connecting to the domain: when QlikView Desktop is open in the same domain where the Server is, the lease is done automatically, provided ports and so on are open and the QlikView Server is available to the user running the BAT (i.e.: not a local user).

Hope that helps.

Miguel

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Thanks Miguel for your help.

I think that's what I'm doing. I have a user Domain\Admin who starts the .bat file. But it doesn't work. I get a "sharing violation" error due to my non licensed user.

I need to open manually a document from the server to borrow another license for 30 days. And that's what I want to do automatically.

Could you show me a dummy example to see how can I do it?

Many thanks in advance!!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

1. Install the Plugin on the machine.

2. Schedule a command to open any document from access point using http:// plugin link.

-Rob

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Thanks Rob, I'll try it tomorrow.

But is there any possibility to do it inside the .bat file?

Here's an example of what I mean :

call \\pathOfQlikview\Qv.exe /l /V /NoSecurity /vMyVariable=1 \\ServerPath\MyQlikviewFile.qvw

Is there any possibility to get a borrowed license calling the qlikview document in the .bat file?

Many thanks in advance both of you!

Marcel.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Instead of a filepath, use a qvp link:

qv.exe /r qvp://servername/MyQlikviewFile.qvw

I think you'll have to use the /r switch to get the doc to automatically close. So create a dummy doc that you use just for this purpose.

-Rob

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Marcel,

There is no such action as to "lease" a license from the command line using qv.exe. It all happens when the qv.exe is run as any licensed account and properly configured to connect to the server. The idea of Rob above using the QVP protocol should work, because it's connecting to the server instead of just opening a file.

Let us know in any case.

Miguel

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi guys, following your instrucctions this is what I've done :

I have a .bat file called gettingYourLeasedLicense.bat :

"D:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r  /NoSecurity "qvp://servername/DummyGetLeasedLicense.qvw"

And it works, because I've reloaded the Last Used UTC as you can see in the attached image.

But I've realised that if I open a Qlikview document in the desktop, it seems to do the same, because the Last Used UTC is reloaded again.

I'm a little bit worried because I don't want to have the same trouble month after month, because the execution of the .bat file is critical for my customer, and I need to know that the leased license is guaranteed everytime I execute the bat file.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Marcel.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think this shouldbe a reliable technique. To learn about the details of license lease, this is an excellent paper:

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2993

-Rob

Not applicable

Hi marcel.olmo, mby, rwunderlich

I have a similar scenario that Marcel is describing (running a batch file locally and i need to automatically lease a license).

As known, the lease update is done automatically in the background, except that in my case i'm using a user from a different domain (logging in with domain1\user but the lease needs to be on domain2\user).

I have described the case in this thread:

Automatic leasing with a user from another domain

Appreciate your help fellows