Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Loading data from multiple excel files

I need to load the data from multiple xls files present in one folder. The different excel files contain the many sheet with different names. How can I load the data from these excel files to the one qvd provided all sheets have same data format(same no of columns and their respective details).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Something that I forgot that could be useful is that if you're XLS files' columns are added in time, you can use * instead of the fields' names.

load *
FROM \*.xls (biff, embedded labels);

save it in a QVD file and after sort the fields that you need.

Best Regards

Enrique

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hello:

You can load multiple XLS files in one folder with this code

Load field1,
field2,
field3
from .\Folder\*.xls (biff, embedded labels, table is Sheet1$);

there you'll load every file in the folder, nevertheless every file need to have a "Sheet1", you can't load every sheet in an XLS file (or i don't find the way), you need to load one by one every sheet.

I hope I could help you.

Best Regards

Enrique

Not applicable
Author

Yeap Thats a working solution but what if the no of excels present in the folder are varying with time . Please help me with some other good solution.

Not applicable
Author

If the number or excels files are diferente every time that you reload the aplication this code work fine.

I have implemented this same solution in one customer, where the excel files is a very large o very short number depending of the reports of his people in the field .

Not applicable
Author

yeah but you must be having the excel files with same sheet name which I dont have Thats why I am looking for some kind of code which can handle loading the multiple excels with different sheet names with same data format present at one location

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

you can leave out the part of naming the table:

LOAD
value1,
value2,
value3

For more comfort with subfolders you should have a look to following wiki:

http://community.qlik.com/wikis/qlikview-wiki/loading-data-from-multiple-xls-files-from-folder-with-subfolder.aspx

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Something that I forgot that could be useful is that if you're XLS files' columns are added in time, you can use * instead of the fields' names.

load *

save it in a QVD file and after sort the fields that you need.

Best Regards

Enrique