Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Publisher error

I am getting the following error on a "loop and reduce" job:

The task "Territory Reduce" failed. Part of the log file follows:

4/14/2014 2:16:17 PM Error The QlikView Server returned a error
4/14/2014 2:16:17 PM Error QVS Distribution failed to distribute to QVS
4/14/2014 2:16:17 PM Error Distribution to resources failed with errors. Warnings: 0, Errors: 2
4/14/2014 2:16:20 PM Error The task "Territory Reduce" failed. Exception:
QDSMain.Exceptions.DistributionFailedException: Distribute failed with errors to follow. ---> QDSMain.Exceptions.LogBucketErrorException: Distribution to resources failed with errors. Warnings: 0, Errors: 2
   at QDSMain.DistributeTask.RevertOneAndAlwaysOne(Document qvbDocument)
   at QDSMain.DistributeTask.ReleaseQvb(Document qvbDocument)
   at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Distribution(String fileName, DistributionRequest distributionRequest, TaskResult taskResult, String repeatVariableName, String currentRepeatVariableValue)
   at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Execute(TaskResult currentTaskResult)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Execute(TaskResult currentTaskResult)
   at QDSMain.Task.AbstractTask.TaskExecution(ILogBucket logBucket, TaskResult taskResult)

There are 70 sales territories and I am creating a report for each one. Sometimes the job actually finishes successfully, but most times it fails at some random point, different each time. The QlikView server sits on a virtual server, so I'm thinking maybe it's a resource issue. Any thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mls
Former Employee
Former Employee

When distributing to QVS, QVS first saves the file into a temporary file and then renames it into the final destination. The "Failed to rename" sounds like that rename failed for some reason.

Is there antivirus software with real time scanning on the QVS machine? You could turn it off completely for a while to see if it has anything to do with it, or if that is not possible, exclude qlikview related files & folders. We have seen real time scanning cause other files to lock so possibly that could cause something like this.

Or you could distribute to a folder location instead of distributing to QVS and that would probably help, but then no meta files would be created so if QVS is in DMS mode there would be no user rights assigned.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I got the same issues some times back, I usually restart the QVS, QDS  for such errors then it worked fine for me. Just check the email distribution list (count) and it has some limits though in QV publisher and also the number of records in the report.

Kiru

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately that didn't work. The strange thing is that I have another job which reduces the same report to 7 districts and that works fine. The only difference is that this job is 70 territories.

Not applicable
Author

If I understood your problem correctly,

check the number /count of records in report with 70 territories

Distributor will give error if the report contains huge records than its limit, try to increase the number of records in report through publisher.

mls
Former Employee
Former Employee

The error suggest the problem happens when distributing the file to QVS. I would check if the QVS is having any problems at the time. Set QVS event logging to high verbosity and then check for any errors in the QVS log for the time you recive the Distribution error.

If you suspect the problem is resource related - check resource usage on the QVS machine.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

HI Len,

You can try to increase the PDF Printer timeout and see if that helps.

To increase the PDF Printer timeout, do the following

• Locate the file settings.ini found in

Windows 2008 - C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch
           Windows 2003 - C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch

• Add the setting PDFPrintTimeoutInSeconds in the [Settings 7] section

[Settings 7]
           PDFPrintTimeoutInSeconds= 120

• Save settings.ini and restart QlikView Distribution Service

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Magnus - I did increase the verbosity and I checked the log file on QVS and the last few lines are below. Everything is fine, then it bombs arbitrarily on "Failed to Rename".

Bill - I put the setting you recommended in the settings.ini file and the job ran fine, however, as I mentioned above the job sometimes completes ok anyway. Not sure what it has to do with PDF Print but we'll see.

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:49 4 700 Information File Upload: File upload initiated (Territory/Territory 21107.qvw)

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:49 4 700 Information FileClose: Upload completed (Territory/Territory 21107.qvw)

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:51 4 700 Information File Upload: File upload initiated (Territory/Territory 21108.qvw)

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:51 4 700 Information FileClose: Upload completed (Territory/Territory 21108.qvw)

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:53 4 700 Information File Upload: File upload initiated (Territory/Territory 21109.qvw)

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:53 2 500 Warning FileClose: Failed to rename (Territory/Territory 21109.qvw)  (A)

2014-04-14 20:26:44 2014-04-15 10:33:53 2 500 Warning File Upload: Incomplete upload of Territory/Territory 21109.qvw abandoned

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

If it fails again it would be nice to see the whole distribution error log.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
mls
Former Employee
Former Employee

When distributing to QVS, QVS first saves the file into a temporary file and then renames it into the final destination. The "Failed to rename" sounds like that rename failed for some reason.

Is there antivirus software with real time scanning on the QVS machine? You could turn it off completely for a while to see if it has anything to do with it, or if that is not possible, exclude qlikview related files & folders. We have seen real time scanning cause other files to lock so possibly that could cause something like this.

Or you could distribute to a folder location instead of distributing to QVS and that would probably help, but then no meta files would be created so if QVS is in DMS mode there would be no user rights assigned.

Not applicable
Author

Magnus -

You were correct. I had our internal security exclude the distribution folders from the corporate anti-virus software and there haven't been any subsequent failures. It does, however, beg the question: I was running the same job on a Windows Server 2003 machine running QVS version 10 and never had a problem. Only when I switched to a Windows Server 2008 machine running QVS version 11.2 did this problem occur. The same anti-virus software runs on both machines. Strange.