Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

what is data limitation in qlikview? or qvd? or there is no limitation?

what is data limitation in  qlikview? or qvd?  or there is no limitation?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

There is one hard limit: 2 billion distinct values in a field. Apart from that, it is only a matter of fitting the data into RAM and having the patience to wait for the answer (CPU time).

HIC

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I think there is no data limitation in qlikview. If u can provide enough infrastructure or enough memory then, u can load

data how much u want.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

There is one hard limit: 2 billion distinct values in a field. Apart from that, it is only a matter of fitting the data into RAM and having the patience to wait for the answer (CPU time).

HIC

Not applicable
Author

With unlimited number of fields ? and is it the same for Sense ?

MichaelTerenzi
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

-Mikael-  

Good question, perhaps Henric Cronström or Michael Tarallo may know if the same limit applies in Qlik Sense.

Cheers,

- Michael

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I am fairly sure that it is the same as in QlikView. The engine is still the same.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Ok thx.

Can you common on the distinct part? Is a "distinct value" just a set of field/row or that whether there are similar values should make a difference?  

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

"Distinct" means distinct field values. Whether they are similar or not, doesn't matter. Read more on Symbol Tables and Bit-Stuffed Pointers. The limit is that the symbol tables are limited to 2 billion rows.

HIC

humansoft
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

hic, is it true what you wrote?

My Customer have app with more than 2147483648 records in one table. There are no field/s with 2 billions of distinct values.

Take a look at the following screenshot from "Document Properties" -> "Tables":

DocumentProperties_Tables_Above2bRecords.png

Look at number of rows -> "-1863984112" rows in main fact table. This table has more than 2147483648 records.

QV: 11.20.12852.0 SR11 x64

hic, more info: QT Support Case 00502034.

What do You think about it?

Best regards

TH

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

My guess is that there is a problem in how numbers above 2B are displayed. The first bit in a 32-bit integer stores the sign; plus or minus. The remaining 31 bits are used for the number.

So, if a number exceeds 2 147 483 648 it will be incorrectly displayed as a negative number, and this is also what you see in this case. My guess is that the table has 2 430 983 184 records (Pow(2,32)-1 863 984 112).

What do you get if you use Count(Field) in a text box?

HIC