Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pivot Table vs Straight Table (Performance)

Hi Experts, I have read somewhere online that Pivot table performance is slow. It is not recommended to use pivot table in application having large amount of  data. I very curious to know about internal working of pivot table and why It is not recommended. Thanks In Advance, Vivek

10 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Obviously If you compare Pivot Table vs Straight Table... Pivot Table is giving low performance due to arranging Row according to Columns...But use of both is depending upon your requirements...

Consider that you have sales data and user want to see Monthly Data for last 3 Years.. the better option here is the dimension Year, Month and Expression Sum(Sales)... Month can be dragged to the top to make it as a column....

But the same can be achieved using Straight but in this case, you have to prepare 12 different SUM(Sales) statements....not viable option....!

(I have tried my best to describe, but other GURUs can describe in better way... I am not much good in teaching )

Not applicable
Author

hi

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STRAIGHT AND PIVOT TABLE
PIVOT TABLESTRAIGHT TABLE
ASCENDING/DESCENDING  CHANGE OPTION ON COLUMNSNOYES
SEARCHING/DROPDOWN SELECT ON COLUMNYESYES
COLAPSE/EXPAND COLUMNYESNO
GROUPINGYESNO
DRAG AND DROP COLUMN YESYES
SUB TOTALYESNO
TOTALYESYES
DRAG EXPRESSIONNOYES
HIDE COLUMN  OPTION PERMANENTLY BUT INTERNALLY WORKNOYES
TOTAL MODE (NO TOTAL, EXPRESSION TOTAL, SUM OF ROWS) OPTION ENABLENOYES
A pivot table is better at grouping: you can easily see which group a specific row belongs to, and a group can have a subtotal. You can also display a pivot table like a cross table (one or several horizontal dimensions). But when you sort a pivot table, you have to sort it first according to the first dimension, then according to the next, etc. You cannot sort it any way you want.
A straight table is better at sorting than a pivot table: you can sort it according to any column. But it is not so good at grouping. Subtotals are not possible, for instance.
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks all for your quick reply

You both are correct

but i want to know more about internal working of Pivot table and straight table.....

why pivot table is slower as compared to straight table...

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Vivek,

Straight table will have better performance over Pivot.  If you are pivoting the column or you want grouping then you have to use Pivot.  If you are able to manage your client with Straight table then use it.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

hi

Since, Qlikview read the data row wise. and in pivote our data are in group.

so this may be a reason of performance. but i'm not sure.

vikasmahajan

Straight Table is better option simple and easy to use.

Vikas

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Colin-Albert

Sub-totals are possible in straight tables using the Dimension Limits tab.

Though you may want to disable interactive sorting if using sub-totals as changing the sort order will alter the results.

Also pivot tables do not support all options for mini-charts.

Not applicable
Author

All has been already said by my fellow members. But since you are more likely to understand what is happening internally between both objects. This information/research is very limited to few geeks out here(you need find them).

But to sum up, I would say Pivot and Straight table have their own situations where they are best fit.

So,for most of the common situation, straight table give better performance.

Thanks,

Angad

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jagan ,

Yes I am completely agree with you . It is not a client requirement.

Just for my knowledge I want to know why Pivot have better performance. 

Regards,

Vivek