Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbumeshqlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

XML string parsing, in QV LOAD script

Hello,

In my qv Load script, I have string intilized to some XML content.

I was able to store  that in a load table. but no clue,how   to parse  that string xml..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Listed below QV Script

====================================================================

vxmlstr = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<ArrayOftCountryCodeAndName>

<tCountryCodeAndName>

<sISOCode>GB</sISOCode>

<sName>United Kingdom</sName>

</tCountryCodeAndName>

<tCountryCodeAndName>

<sISOCode>GS</sISOCode>

<sName>South Georgia &amp; South Sandwich Islands</sName>

</tCountryCodeAndName>

<tCountryCodeAndName>

<sISOCode>IO</sISOCode>

<sName>British Indian Ocean Territory</sName>

</tCountryCodeAndName>

</ArrayOftCountryCodeAndName>

' ;

//Load XMl String

XMLFILE:

LOAD * INLINE [

XML

$(vxmlstr)

];

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I found your case interesting - so I got carried away and tested your specific Web Service with different countries and discovered that it was a couple of additional challenges there. The Web Service will for instance not always give back all fields for all airports in a country. So that has to be handled dynamically or the table being read will have rows where the columns get offset and hence corrupted.

Now I tested it with various countries and even the USA with probably the most airports in the world ~2000 it works now. Here there was an additional challenge in that single quotation marks is part of some airport's name. Which initially I didn't handle but modified my code later to accept that.

Enjoy - find my solution attached

2015-05-23 #3.PNG

2015-05-23 #1.PNG

2015-05-23 #2.PNG

View solution in original post

6 Replies
marcus_sommer

Maybe this is helpful: Re: XML part of XLS data - how to extract

- Marcus

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I found your case interesting - so I got carried away and tested your specific Web Service with different countries and discovered that it was a couple of additional challenges there. The Web Service will for instance not always give back all fields for all airports in a country. So that has to be handled dynamically or the table being read will have rows where the columns get offset and hence corrupted.

Now I tested it with various countries and even the USA with probably the most airports in the world ~2000 it works now. Here there was an additional challenge in that single quotation marks is part of some airport's name. Which initially I didn't handle but modified my code later to accept that.

Enjoy - find my solution attached

2015-05-23 #3.PNG

2015-05-23 #1.PNG

2015-05-23 #2.PNG

Gysbert_Wassenaar

There's a FROM_FIELD option that you can use to load a table of data from a field from another table. See this discussion for an example: Re: Reading multiple XML nodes

You can find more discussion on this subject with this search: https://community.qlik.com/search.jspa?q=xml+from_field

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
sbumeshqlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Petter,

Thank you, so much.

diwaskarki
Creator II
Creator II

Hello  petter-s,

I have a similar situation. I have an xml field in my db2 database. I need to parse strings that are stored as list in the xml.  "Attribute" is the field in my database. It looks like this:

<Attributes>

<Map>

<entry key="Removed access"

<value>

<List>

<String>data<String1>

<String>data1<String1>

<String>data2<String>

I need to parse data,data1, data2 into qlikiview. I have extracted single values from a Map using textbetween function.

But it doesnt seem to work for multiple entries in the list. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks  

diwaskarki
Creator II
Creator II

Hello gwassenaar,

I have a similar situation. I have an xml field in my db2 database. I need to parse strings that are stored as list in the xml.  "Attribute" is the field in my database. It looks like this:

<Attributes>

<Map>

<entry key="Removed access"

<value>

<List>

<String>data<String1>

<String>data1<String1>

<String>data2<String>

I need to parse data,data1, data2 into qlikiview. I have extracted single values from a Map using textbetween function.

But it doesnt seem to work for multiple entries in the list. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks