Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madsgrathe
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Running 30 day average

Hi everybody

I'm having trouble getting QlikView to do what I believe is probably a relatively simple task...

I'd like it to calculate the running 30 day average of a certain expression. In this case the average Sales per User within the last 30 days before a given date. So for any date it should calculate the average based on the preceeding 30 days.

Here's how I calculate my current average Sales per User:

sum({<LoginDays={'>4'}>} Sales)/count({<LoginDays={'>4'}>} distinct UserID)

I'm using set analysis because I only want to count the users who have a certain amount of LoginDays, in this case 5.

Can anyone help me do a 30 day running average based on this calculation?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm learning to use QlikView the hard way and any help is much appreciated 🙂

17 Replies
madsgrathe
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Jonathan

I think you're definately on the right track. However, I'm not quite sure what a date island is, but after looking at you're example, I'm starting to get the picture. You're pretty much spot on in the way you have the data structured, that's pretty much a simplified version of the data I'm working with. However, I don't have missing dates, so that's not a problem.

Only problem is, you're solution involves doing it at the load script level. But since it's only on the dates, it shouldn't effect load time significantly, right?

I'm going to study your file and see if I can adopt it to my data.

Thank you!

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Just to clarify - a date island is a date table that is not connected to any other tables in the model (hence island). It exists to be used as a chart dimension for cases such as your problem. The expressions are connected to the date dimension via the if() statements. For example, I used:

Sum({<LoginDays={'>4'}, Date=>} If(Date > diDate - vDateRange AND Date <= diDate, Sales))

For the sales over the last 30 days. The set expressions for LoginDays is per your original post, and the Date= clause is to prevent a date selection from affecting the result. If you have other date fields (such as Month, Quarter, Year) which may be involved in selections, you should add them to the set expression.

The If() statement gets Sales where trhe Date is between the dimension date (diDate) and the date 30 days before the dimension date (or whatever number of days in vDateRange).

The load time implications will be negligible, as the table is populated by a few hundred calculated dates (depending on the date range in your data). Determining the min and max dates could take a little time if your main fact table is millions of lines in size.

The other problem that this approach solves is this. Assume that you would like to see the data one month at a time. So you would have a diMonth selection active. This approach will still correctly calculate the previous vDateRange days for the first day of the month, second day and so on). Verify that by making a selection on diDate to limit the chart/table range.

A final point is that the if expressions assume the dates to be pure date values, not date/time (timestamp). If not, the last part of the If statement should read:

AND Floor(Date) <= diDate,

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
madsgrathe
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Jonathan

Thank you very much for clearifying the Date Island solution, I get the principle know!

However, I can't get it to function in practicality...

I used your script to add to my existing script, so that I got diDate in there.

I created a table using diDate as dimension and the following expression for the 30 day base:

Sum({<LoginDays={'>4'}, Date=>} If(Date > diDate - vDateRange AND Date <= diDate, Sales))
/Count({<LoginDays={'>4'},Date=>} Distinct If(Date > diDate - vDateRange AND Date <= diDate, emailid))

But the graph is stil just showing the accumulated sales starting from the first date in the selection and forwards... Also, It is taking QlikView a LONG time to calculate the graph. The loading bar for the graph is really slow. Here's the result shown once the graph is done loading:

This is even though I used diDate as dimension but selected the period using the ordinary Date field in my data...

Any ideas?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Mads

First the easy question - since the date selection is overridden in the expressions, it should have no effect on the graph.

I expect that the performance will be slower than normal associations, as the association is happening with the interpreted expression, rather than using QV's internal associations.

I increased the test data set to > 100,000 rows, and I did notice a drop in performance, but only if I tried to display the entire data set. If I put a month filter (using diMonth, diYear), then I noticed no impact.

It comes to how big your data set is. If it is really large, and you don't need flexibility in the number of days, you could aggregate the sales and user counts in the load script. Your table then have a Sales30Days and User30Days fields. It will increase the model size somewhat, and reduce your flexibility, but will improve the graphs performance, as you would not be aggregating or using the data island.

If the charts performs OK if limited to a month at a time, you could design your chart so that it only displays the last 30 days, or put a calc condition for Count(distinct diMonth)=1 on the chart so that it only displays when a month is selected.... etc etc

As is often the case with these type of issues, there are several options, and best depends on the specific data set/problem.

Hope that all helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Here is the model with 100k+ records.

Warning file is quite large (7MB)

Jonathan

madsgrathe
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Jonathan

I was figuring you would say that about the accumulative fields in the load script. Unfortunately that's not really an option.

1. I have a single record for every user interaction with my site, including sales, so there is really no where to include the 30 day sales count and user count.

2. I'd like to be able to do the 30 day thing with a lot of the variables in the data set, not just the sales. So for that I would have to add a lot of extra fields to my data set, making it even larger.

I really appreciate all the work you've put into helping me. I must admit I thought this would be a much easier task for QlikView. I'm a little disappointed that it's not easier to do since this 30 day measurement is something that we use quite often in my company - since we define users as someone who's interacted with the site within the last 30 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ralf

Your answer was perfect! it' worked excelent at my QV. Thanks a lot!

regards

yakir_manor
Contributor III
Contributor III

i resolved it in a nicer way, i wanted to add a dimension called period so i can select or deselect it, that way i can use it in bookmarks, you can see my implementation, i wanted:

7 last days - 1w.

last month - 1m - 30 days.

last year - 365 days back.

you can see my solution in the attached file, you can add more periods or change the calender the same way that was suggested in:

Qlikview Financial periods (MTD, YTD, LMTD, LYYTD)

enjoy!